PDA

View Full Version : Hobby RO

steve J
01-21-2010, 07:09 AM
I saw in a catalog from CDLUSA a Hobby RO. Does anyone here know anything about this unit. It says it does not require a heated room and its portable so it can be moved around?

maplwrks
01-21-2010, 08:09 AM
I saw one at Verona, and wasn't impressed. I feel you should keep them from freezing, membranes don't like that. They are using a pool pump to run the sap through the membrane. It's made so that you can mount it on top of a sap tank amd concentrate back into the tank.

Bucket Head
01-21-2010, 04:58 PM
I saw it also, but I also have no experience with RO's. No, it does'nt look impressive...when compared to the non-hobby units. Nothing with the "Hobby" moniker looks impressive next to its professional counterparts.

Its not designed to process thousands of gallons of sap, so maybe the pump on it would be fine. I don't think allowing it to freeze would be fine. That can't be good for the filters. I know there were many drains on the unit, but what if you or your "help" forgot one, or two?

I'm not for or against that RO. If it would help out a guys small sugaring outfit, great. Thats for each guy to figure out. If I were to buy one, I would keep it from freezing. You could insulate a closet-like room in the smallest of sugarhouses and keep a lightbulb on and heat it. I've contemplated an RO and I've thought about putting it in the basement. Have a "sap in" and a "sap out" line through the wall and not worry about freezing ever.

Maybe this way is one way the little "backyard guy" could free up some of his time and make his or hers operration as efficient as it could get.

Does anyone remember where I put the hammer drill and masonry bits? LOL!

Steve

halladaymaple
02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I saw one at Verona, and wasn't impressed. I feel you should keep them from freezing, membranes don't like that. They are using a pool pump to run the sap through the membrane. It's made so that you can mount it on top of a sap tank amd concentrate back into the tank.

Hi Mike:

I am thinking of moving to RO. I currently have 550 taps, you have the same evaperator as I. I can easlity go to 2000 taps, just dont have the time but I might with RO! how long are you boiling for? and what is the concentrate %age (8%??) Thanks for any info you have

Darrell
halladay maple

Dill
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
According to what I heard at the UVM maple school, the CDL has membranes that can be left dry, so you drain the entire machine at night.

maplwrks
02-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Darrell---sent you a pm