PDA

View Full Version : 100 gal oil tank

wino
01-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Hello Guys
This is a great site and a vast wealth of knowledge. I have been reading for the past few days for hours and have a question.

I have a 24x36 divided pan with pre heater that I am going to use a 100 gal oil tank for an arch. Will have grate, bricks and a step not a ramp. What size of fire box should I make and what would be a good location for my step? I was thinking fire box 18"x18" and have my step half way down the pan. Overall length of arch will be 48". Does this sound correct?

thanks
Wino

KenWP
01-20-2010, 09:22 PM
!8 by 18 is the smallest you want to go. If you run into a stick of wood more then 16 inchs you will have a problem getting it to lay flat and it will have to go in on a angle. Go just a bit longer to stop that problem. Also with 18 by 18 wheres the rest of the pan going to be sitting. You have 6 inchs that will be not heated directly on the sides.

wino
01-21-2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks.

I was going to angle the top of the fire box off to the edge of the pan to heat as much surface as possible. Would it be better to have the fire box 20"-24" long?

Wino

DanE.
01-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Wino, Last year i made a 18x36 arch. it had a 18x18 inch fire box, when you subtract your arch board and/or fire brick and the fire box was down to a little under 15 x 15. I never got enough heat to the pans that i wanted. they did boil but not a good rapid boil across the whole pan. And you also have to cut you wood shorter ~14 inches. Just this week I extend the fire box by 6 inches I think this will really help.

So, if I was you I would make it larger, say 18 x 24

Dane.

Hello Guys
This is a great site and a vast wealth of knowledge. I have been reading for the past few days for hours and have a question.

I have a 24x36 divided pan with pre heater that I am going to use a 100 gal oil tank for an arch. Will have grate, bricks and a step not a ramp. What size of fire box should I make and what would be a good location for my step? I was thinking fire box 18"x18" and have my step half way down the pan. Overall length of arch will be 48". Does this sound correct?

thanks
Wino