PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Gibsonia

Dan W
01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Tapped and hung 160 buckets on 1-17-10. Only got about 50 gallons as of today. Tomorrow should be better. The weatherman was a little off to say the least.

Turtlecreek
01-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Keep us up to date on how things are going. You and Theron may be the only ones tapping in so far. I think that paddymountain and I are holding off until the more traditional time, we are in the same county about 15 miles from eachother.

Good luck and keep on posting.

Hurry Hill Farm
01-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Dan W.
What was your sugar content on that sap?

Hurry Hill in Edinboro

Dan W
01-23-2010, 07:43 AM
I tap all reds-sure wish I had sugars around here. But I have collected 140 gallons at 1.75%. They are running like crazy right now and it looks good for the next two days or so. Might get to boil for a few hours tonight.

Gary R
01-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Hello Dan? How's the new rig running. Did you get much sap? I bet you really enjoyed being inside a sugarhouse yesterday:)

Dan W
01-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Gary, Started off yesterday with 180 gallons of sap. Boiled off about 100. Was taking it slow just figuring out how the thing runs an getting used to it. You're right about being inside yesterday. I is nice boiling in a T-shirt! That metal roof is pretty noisy in the rain though. Going to boil what is left today. Looks like that will be it for a while-back to winter.

Turtlecreek
02-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Well haven't heard an update Crome out west recently, you get thawed out out there?

Dan W
02-19-2010, 08:13 AM
TC, No end to this lousy weather in sight. Supposed to get barely above freezing today and another batch of snow on monday. That is all good though-I had my knee scoped on wednesday and I can use about a week of recoup then everything is going to all break loose I hope. I got my snowshoes yesterday and with knee deep snow still here I think they will get some use for a while anyway. How about you? Get that HP all set up and have wood in it ready to light?

Turtlecreek
02-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Well, the hp is all ready, I need to clean up the pans and it will be good. I'm pretty much all tapped, I keep finding more maples in the new part of the woods that are just begging to be tapped! I only colectd a couple of gallons of sap so far, but I only tapped on wed. So things are just starting here. It looks like we will be above freezing for the most part the whole next week with one storm comming, but I should be good.

walkerpa
02-19-2010, 02:59 PM
first year tapping and i used an electric drill. Is this a problem? does the heat from the drill cauterize the hole? If so should i redrill with a hand crank? ps how do you post a new thread?