PDA

View Full Version : Tin raised flue, What's it worth?

maple flats
01-19-2010, 04:31 PM
I have a 3x6 tin raised flue pan, flues only raised 1 1/4". Has some rust, box in and box out but I see no provision for a float or inlet valve. Any guesses what it might be worth. I have someone asking but I have no idea of what I should even ask. Appears to have no leaks but not positive.

Jeff E
01-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Sounds like an old english tin pan, with shallow v flues. The rust is a problem, and unless you can clean it up, (softish brush, no metal!) and verify no leaks, if you got more than $100 you should be happy.

maple flats
01-19-2010, 05:08 PM
The flues are not V they are flat and about 1 1/2" wide each. They start at the bottom, up 1.25", over 1.5", down 1.25", over about 3/4" and it repeats.

Jeff E
01-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Do you think you can clean it up? I would guess it is a custom made pan. Does it have inlets, outlets, dividers?

maple flats
01-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Might be able to clean it up, not sure. It has an inlet and outlet box but they are each about a 4" semi circle. There are 3 sections. Basically this looks reversable in design, not saying it was reversed, just that it could have been. Most of the flues are shiny on the inside, but not all. At first glance one might think it is SS but I really think not.

Jeff E
01-20-2010, 09:00 AM
If you can figure a way to connect it to a finishing pan, say a 3x4 with dividers, or a couple of 3' crossover pans, you could have a nice low cost 3x10 pan set. I would think process rate over a decent arch could be around 65 gph.

maple flats
01-20-2010, 09:45 AM
If I was to clean it up, what was used to prevent rusting on the tin pans between seasons? Might consider getting a ss syrup pan and then sell it as a pan set. If I do that would likely go to Bascom open house in May to find a syrup pan. That might get the sell price up to$1000 and I can find pans in decent shape for well under $900. Am i grabbing at straws here?

Haynes Forest Products
01-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Question is will the pan pass inspection? Are you going to sell wholesale and do you need to have a current license to sell?

maple flats
01-21-2010, 09:26 AM
My pans are SS, I got this english tin flue pan as part of a big lot of equipment I bought from a retired producer, had to take everything, now I am looking to sell this pan and need help determining a price.

kinalfarm
01-21-2010, 11:28 AM
if it leaks 50 bucks and if it does not leak and its able to clean up a little than ask 150 for it

Bucket Head
01-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Dave,

If it does not appeal to anyone for syrup use, advertise it for its historical value. Any identification on it? Post a photo of it and maybe someone could identify it. If you can determin its manufacture location, maybe someone from that town/city/state would jump at it?

There are many museums out there and there are even more producers who have quite a collection of antique sugaring items. I have a fair amount of old stuff myself. A lot of guys have old equipment displayed in their sugarhouses- for decoration and teaching.

Post a photo here and see what happens.

Steve

maple flats
01-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I'll try to get a photo this weekend. Then I'll need to set up a web page or photo bucket or something. I have never done any of that yet. I do have a couple of digital cameras but never posted anything from them.
As far as name, I will look again, but I don't think there is one on it.

Haynes Forest Products
01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
My wife is getting mad at me for displaying my old equipment around the sugar shack:evil:

Bill'sSugarShack
01-22-2010, 04:34 AM
I have a 3x6 tin raised flue pan, flues only raised 1 1/4". Has some rust, box in and box out but I see no provision for a float or inlet valve. Any guesses what it might be worth. I have someone asking but I have no idea of what I should even ask. Appears to have no leaks but not positive.

Sounds like pan i'm trying to sell(sold)..pics of it at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v236/bascomwd/3x6_pan/

KenWP
01-22-2010, 05:47 AM
My wife is getting mad at me for displaying my old equipment around the sugar shack:evil:

She's talking about old unsightly equipment.

Bucket Head
01-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Tell her to stay in the house and then she won't see the "unsightly" antique equipment! Problem solved.

Whats wrong with the old equipment? Yeah its rusty, but remember, its also antique. Like I said, many folks have antique and older equipment on display for decoration, historical value or teaching opportunities. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I have found that showing folks the antique stuff first and then showing and telling how syrup is made today is generally a "crowd pleaser".

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
01-22-2010, 09:11 PM
.................................................. ..........NEVER MIND:emb:.....................................

KenWP
01-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Lol 747 just went over.