PDA

View Full Version : filter on RO

Brent
01-18-2010, 08:53 PM
I'll be running a 160 GPH Airablo RO for the first time this year. There is a 20 sediment pre-filter on it.

How often do you guys change the filters? My experience on the little GE Merlins was that the pre-filter really slowed down flow and changed color after one day. Mind you that was a 1 micron filter and I see the recommended filter on this rig is 5 micron.

I want to get in a stock before the season starts.

H. Walker
01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
I would think that the filter should be changed or cleaned after every use. Otherwise you would have a bacteria bath for the next sap run to go through.

sapman
01-18-2010, 10:29 PM
I don't change my filters til they plug, which is pretty much every use later in the season.

Tim

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-19-2010, 04:26 AM
I also run my filters until they plug. I use a cloth cover for the filters that is washable and is changed every time that I rinse the RO. This greatly extends the time I can use the filters. Sometimes, if the flow is slowing way down, I could just shut down and change this cloth outer filter (I referred to them as diapers) and was good to go for a couple more hours. As Tim suggested, things really plug up much faster at the end of the season.
Doug

maplwrks
01-19-2010, 05:10 AM
I use the diapers like Doug does. I change the diapers as needed, quite often the filter is fine.

Russell Lampron
01-19-2010, 05:30 AM
I do the same as Doug and Mike but I call the diapers "beetle skins". I use the 5 micron filters that are recommended and only replace them when they get clogged. I swap them out when I do a wash using one for washing and the other for concentrating.

maplwrks
01-19-2010, 05:36 AM
BEETLE SKINS!!!! I like that!!!

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
01-19-2010, 05:56 AM
I have an airablo 1000 gph machine from Leader. Will these "beetle skins" work on the prefilters in this machine too?

maplwrks
01-19-2010, 06:04 AM
They should, because the filter canister is the same. To the best of my knowledge, Lapierre is the only company that sells the "Filter Wraps"

white mt
01-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Would cheese cloth work with 2 or so bands to hold it on the filter for a cover/ "beetle skins.?

maplwrks
01-19-2010, 08:13 AM
These wraps remind me of a cloth diaper---about the same texture and weight. I would think that any cloth wrapped around the filter would work, as long as sap can flow through it. I think cheese cloth would be a bear to wash and reapply. I run my "diapers" or "beetleskins"through the washer when I get a couple of them filthied up.

Homestead Maple
01-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Ya, all the cloth does is make it easier to clean the bigger "chunkies" out before they plug the prefilter.