PDA

View Full Version : small taps on gravity?

John Burton
02-14-2005, 02:43 AM
my father in law has about one hundered of the most beautiful rock maples you would ever see the problem is the last farm that tapped them almost killed them by over tapping. you know if you could hang 3 buckets 6 or 8 would be better. anyway he kicked them out 5 seasons ago (before i started sugaring) and has them healthy again by fertilizing them. we are disscussing the idea that if i were to use the smallest taps ,microspouts i could tap about a third each year rotating the crop trees each year to help with the holes healing up.my question is will microspouts only wok with vacum or could i rig up tubbing and drops into 5 gallon pails and gather that way.he would really like to see these trees used however he is not willing to let me or anyone hurt these trees. on a side note where can you find the books sweet maple, and the maple syrup production manual.i believe they are both out of print and a friend of mine cant even find them she works at a book distrbutor in the area?

mapleman3
02-14-2005, 06:37 AM
John just use real conservative tapping if your worried, go 1 or 2 5/16 health spouts with tubing drops into the 5 gal buckets, if the trees look healthy .. good crowns nice leaves in the summer, you'll be ok, and when you tap check out the color of the shavings, hopefully they will be nice n white not real yellow or brownish, it won't hurt to do a few test holes!!

02-14-2005, 07:19 AM
You should be fine tapping conservatively 10" diameter 1 tap. 18" two taps. I think the producers manual is going into a new edition and is supposed to be out early summer. Sweet Maple is out of print too so you might try amazon.com and see if there is a used edition available from somebody.

themapleking
02-14-2005, 04:57 PM
micro spouts only work with vacuum systems. And they don't work anyways. Use 5/16 or ecolo 19/64 spouts. Don't tap any closer than 12" from the old tap holes.
12"-18" trees 1 tap. 18" and over 2 taps. With 2 taps place them opposite each other. That way your drawing sap each side of the tree and not right close to the same section.
If the health of the tree is qusetionable don't tap or only use 1 tap.
YOU MAKE THE CALL!