PDA

View Full Version : Commercial/ Food processing kitchens?

Bucket Head
01-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Does anyone out there have a certified, food processing kitchen in their sugarhouse? I know most have a "kitchen" of some sort, and I know some have the 20c Home Kitchen Exemption for their kitchen in the house. But those are not allowed for making the maple BBQ, mustards, vinigrets, etc. You need a commercial kitchen for meat, dairy, oils and acids. Much more "red tape" with them.

I know a lot of folks sell this stuff along with their syrup. I'm just wondering how many make it right there in their sugar house? There must be all sorts of rules regarding those type kitchens in an agricultulal type building.

Steve

maple flats
01-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Steve, as I understand it you must go thru NYS ag and Markets, but hold on. Joan tried to get info and requirements from Ag and Markets since last June. She has made several attempts but has never gotten any where. You might try contacting Merle Maple (spelling) they have one, they had a display at the conference out in the main entry across from Baker Maple booth, sold lots of sauces, sugar, nuts etc, all types of samples.

Bucket Head
01-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Dave,

I'm not planning on a commercial kitchen anytime soon! I was talking with some folks yesterday about our syrup and all the value added products that could be, and are made, with syrup. I explained what I knew about "kitchens" to them. That brought about these questions.

It figures you can't get any answers from the state. Your tax dollars at work...

I never gave Merle's a thought. I know they have an extensive line of products. I'm wondering where their kitchen is. Separated from the sugarmaking building or part of it. I figured a commercial kitchen would have to be nowhere near the raw sap, soot, firewood/fuel oil, mud, dust, bugs, cows, horses, chickens, general public, etc.

Anyone know anything about the rules and hoops a guy would have to jump thruogh to get a com. kitchen in their sugarhouse? Just curious.

Steve

peacemaker
01-18-2010, 06:51 PM
i was under the understanding in ny as long as u used non com appliances and two pice lids u didnt need to be tested and all
its once u use commercial equipment

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Steve,
The NY Maple producers building at the State Fair Grounds is a commercial kitchen and is supposed to be available for members usage. Check with the State Assn. They should know all the rules and the hoops to jump through.

Bucket Head
01-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Your right. I forgot about the assoc. having the new facility at the fair. Although theres no sugarhouse attached, lol. I would imagine all the food facilities in the hordiculture building have the same requirements.

I'm curious as to if you or I decided we wanted a com. kitchen at our syrup making location, would it be allowed. How big is the rule book on the kitchen requirements, lol?

Thanks Doug.

Steve