PDA

View Full Version : Float in sap pan

Toblerone
01-18-2010, 03:51 PM
I have a 2x6 flat divided pan by Patrick Phaneuf and am making my own float. Will it work to have the float directly in the back/sap portion of the pan or does it have to be a separate float box? What can happen if it's in the main pan? I imagine the boiling sap would interfere. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Dave

Beans Maple
01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
I am going to say that at best it would be very frustrating to have the float directly in the back pan. You would have to run the pan very deep just to prevent burning it up because the float will be higher than the actual sap level. I know it might be easier to put it in there....my vote would be take the time and the extra $$$ and build the outside box. It's alot cheaper than a meltdown.

Haynes Forest Products
01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
My old English tin 2 X 8 had a square box type float that sat in the first channel in the sap and was a simple lever type that worked great. Never had a problem with the level not staying constant. You could build one out of store bought items go to Grainger.com and look up float valves they are $20.00 and the copper float is $12.00 they are 1/2 thread with locknut and washer and would work great. If you build one that is square make sure you vent the float so it doesnt blow up or suck in.

Bucket Head
01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Dave,

A float outside the pan will be much more reliable. I built a float box for my pan so the boilling would not affect it.

The only way it might work inside the pan would be at the back of it, providing you don't get much of a boil there. Some back pans don't boil much at the rear. Some just sort of simmer back there. How much action is going on at the rear of yours?

Steve

NH Maplemaker
01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
For years Leader made a float system like that! There was a 2'x2'x4" preheater pan that set in the center front of the flue pan just behind the syrup pan.
The feed pipe came into the center of the small pan,which was controled by and arm hooked to a float that set in the frist channel of the flue pan right up front ! In the small pan there were too plugs on either side were the sap ran into the fluepan, you only used one side or the other depending on which side you were drawing off from! The other too would be pluged. This set up worked for years for us with out much problem ! But the flue pan must be a drop flue ! Hope this helps!! Jim L.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
The evaporator that Leader made that Jim was referring to was called a "Leader Special" and there are still a lot of them in operation and had the float inside the pan.

NH Maplemaker
01-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks Brandon, I couldn't remenber the modle ! I still have the old girle.Not in use but still here! Jim L.

Bucket Head
01-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Dave,

I've never used an "inboard" float set-up, but I would think that it would be easier to tinker with and observe an "outboard" style float. I don't think I would want to be that close to boiling sap while trying to see through the steam.

Do you wear glasses? If so, good luck.

It just seems simpler to have it outside where you can get to it easier and watch its operation. Just my two cents.

Steve

3rdgen.maple
01-18-2010, 09:51 PM
My old setup had a float system setup in the rear pan. My grandfather and father used it like that for years. After I took it over and started running it I ripped it off and had an external float made. What aggrevated me about it was everytime you opened the door to feed the fire I would lose boil in the back pan, the float would drop and shoot a bunch of raw sap in then when you closed the doors it took a little bit for the pan to boil again and same thing over and over. Dang you would be so close to drawing off and had to feed the fire one more time and it was like starting all over again. I think there is a reason they all have external float boxes now and that is one of them.

Toblerone
01-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to give it a try this year. It's nice to finally have an idea that's not completely crazy! The back part of my pan never boils vigorously, especially with the only-somewhat preheated sap coming it. If it turns out to be a problem, I guess I'll have to find someone to weld a 3/4" pipe connector on a pan for me.

Steve, I don't wear glasses anymore. I had lasik surgery this summer and I'm eager to see how boiling goes this season. Boiling with glasses was terrible. And with contacts, every time I opened the fire doors, they'd almost instantly dry out.

Dave

3rdgen.maple
01-18-2010, 10:15 PM
You just might be okay then if the back does not boil. If you do not run a preheater the cold sap would keep the boil down as well. Give it a shot and by the way a sugarmakers ideas are all crazy just ask some of the wifes.

Bucket Head
01-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Yikes. Fogged up glasses are bad enough, but dried out contacts don't sound fun at all!

The doctor did tell you about now having to wear the full face helmet with the sheild down for safety while boiling, right?

Good luck with the "new" eyes and good luck this season!

Steve