View Full Version : Any one burning natural gas

Smitty
01-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Iam looking into converting from wood to natural gas and was just wondering
if anybody was willing to offer some advise, or answer some questions? i am
planning on constructing my on burner.:D

KenWP
01-18-2010, 04:26 PM
I wonder how much NG it would take to run a evaporator. I used NG for most of my life. Just trying to figure out how your going to make your own burner. The ventura tube would be the most puzzle me thinks. You can make the actualy burner out of SS tube with holes drilled on a angle just to the sides. But the ventura tube sucks oyegen in with the gas before it goes out the orfices. If you can find a NG burner find out what the orfice size is and go with that. Also you have to make sure the regulator will feed the burner.
Also just how do you get the gas company to let you hook up to a homemade gizmo. it's hard to get them to deliver heating oil to a homemade evaporator let alone a gas one.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-18-2010, 05:52 PM
DougM(username) has a 30x8 D&G that they ran on propane for about 3 years and could probably give you some good info. Might still have the gas burner that could be modified for your setup.

Smitty
01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks Brandon,
i will try contacting him.

Smitty
01-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Ken,
i would guess that it will consume a crap load of gas. Probably need to use
a positive pressure blower to get enough oxygen, as well as a louver set up
in a barrel like set up prier to the combustion area???? (thats why i asked the question here, i need input) the volume of gas
on the other hand is not a problem, my brother, dad and i have are own gas
well on the property. the 4" casing runs an average of about 1100-1200
psi. i hope that is enough gas.:) :) :)

KenWP
01-18-2010, 06:33 PM
You just answered another guestion. The gas straight out of a gas well burns hotter then the NG you buy from a pipe line. I grew up in the Turner Valley Oil feilds and the gas we had as kids would boil a kettle way faster then the gas now as they scrub it so much. The products that made it burn hotter are now taken out and sold separate to generate now cash.
I would think that the burner the size of a small hot water boiler would create enough heat to boil sap as it would be going constant and also it would be a constant temp no fluctuations like wood. That dosn't have a blower on it as it sucks enough oxyegen on it's own to burn almost 100%.
It might be best to use just a store bought burner and plumb to that.

Brent
01-18-2010, 06:47 PM
From all the costs per BTU I have seen the only thing cheaper than natural gas is the wood you cut yourself. If I could get natural gas here I'd heat the house and try the evaporator with it. It is a fair bit hotter than propane.

Smitty
01-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Ken,
i have looked at a bunch of different burners, seems there are alot of
options. ( i have all off summer and next winter to work the bugs out of
something) will be burning wood this year:cry:
i have been talking with the leader guys for two seasons about ng burners,
they are still working the bugs out of there lastest and greatest. they have
to run high pressure gas to get enough btu's to compeat with the oil guns,
which leads to the problem of getting enough air properly mixed with the
gas to get a efficient burn. it just sounds pretty cool to build my own gun,
like a good challenge.:mrgreen:

jrthe3
01-18-2010, 07:55 PM
i went to a sugar house in ohio when i was i kid i remeber it ran on ng and it had a big line feeding it maybe two inch or so i will ask may dad if he remebers wnere it was