PDA

View Full Version : log books?

John Burton
02-14-2005, 02:10 AM
how many sugarers out there keep a boiling log whenthey are running?I am going to start keeping one this year ,among the things i hope to track are air temp ,length of boil, weather conditions time of day ,gallons drawn off/finished.i think we will reference taps in/out gallons collected and sap color and sugar content does anyone have anything else they keep track of?I know every year is different however this may give me some future guidance on future questions . just a thought ...

mapleman3
02-14-2005, 06:25 AM
I usually get a calender that has good size squares and write in info on the days I boil , how much I make etc. this year I bought a daily planner(book style) and already putting in weather patterns and progress of my operation just for later reading

Brian
02-14-2005, 07:08 AM
Jim,
I think I am going to hook a clock to the motor on the burner to see how long the burner runs this season. :)

backyardsugarer
02-14-2005, 09:31 AM
I have kept a log for the last 3 years. Historically the two big runs have come in the middle of March and early April. The best run always seems to be during the second round of the NCAA tournament. That's why I hae a TV in the shack.

Chris

syrupmaker
02-14-2005, 09:43 AM
We too use the calander version. Kind of limited space for elaborate record keeping but seems to work well.

Rick

mapleman3
02-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Brian, I have an hour meter hooked in with the oil valve on the burner to get exactly the oil usage in running time!!

FMWARREN
03-05-2005, 07:01 PM
we keep a log on the wall year to year , and a log in a note book kind cool to look back and say what the hell am I doing this for!!

DougM
03-07-2005, 05:54 AM
We keep track on a calendar, but we also have an Excel spreadsheet we update after each boil that tracks date, time boiling, syrup bottled, gas used, sap/syrup ratio, gas/syrup ratio, gas cost, and how many of each type of container we use. Plus a few other tabs we use to track our expenses, sales, etc.

If anyone would like a copy just let me know.