PDA

View Full Version : Tubing tool

Woody
01-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Wondering if anyone has a good close up picture of a two handed tubing tool. A friend will weld one up if he can get an idea of what needs to be done.

I'm also wondering if a c clamp with a vice grip welded to both sides would work. Just an idea.

NH Maplemaker
01-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Woody, do a search (tubing tools ) Look under the one by Dennis ( another tubing tool )! There are some pic's of a real nice home made one. Jim L.

Haynes Forest Products
01-18-2010, 08:44 AM
A C clamp would be too slow. Plus you would have to keep one side from spinning and it would be a nightmare to operate.

farmall h
01-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Woody, go to the Leader website. Swanton,VT. If you look in the tubing tool section you will see a pretty decent picture of one. Enlarge the photo and you should see all you need. You really do not need the tubing spreader feature.

Woody
01-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Can someone tell me what size coupler nuts those are for the tubing grippers. 1/2 inch???

DanE.
01-19-2010, 06:58 AM
1/2" works good

Dennis H.
01-19-2010, 08:18 AM
1/2" couplings work, Once they are cut they will give you a nice tight grip in the tubing without crushing it. You lose a tiny bit from the cuts and that is what gives you a better bite.

I drilled out the one half before cutting them inhalf. I also went back once they were cut and redrilled the hole round, You do this but either clamping both halves in vise grips or just wait till you have them welded in the vise grips.