PDA

View Full Version : Which Tree Saver Bucket Spout Is Best?

jcr1709
01-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Totally new to this, however, did serve some time in VT back in the 80's using 55 gallon drums of Grade B Dark Amber cooking in a restaurant near Sugarbush/Mad River Glen Ski Areas.

Going to do mostly bucket collection from my dozen or so mature sugar maples.

Want 5/16" Tree Saver Type Spouts

I see alot of people on these threads have good things to say about the Leader 5/16" hookless bucket spouts. However, some say aluminum doesn't sanitize as well as stainless. Picture attached.

Attached is a picture of a stainless 5/16" tree saver, no brand name. A little more expensive than the leader aluminum. Are these the stainless taps many on here are saying don't stay in the tree, sap leaks around, and the bucket falls off easily? I can only find one source for these taps which makes me a little nervous about buying 30 at around 3 bucks each just to find they may not be the best.

Great Group, looking forward to any wise advice. Thanks

3% Solution
01-17-2010, 04:56 PM
jcr,
We use the Tree Saver Spout on the right.
Have used them for two years with no problems.
The buckets stay on the trees no matter how much wind!!!
Just my two cents.

Dave

KenWP
01-17-2010, 05:15 PM
The spout on the left is for hanging bags on. And if your paying $3 a peice your being hosed as they are $1;50 Canadain up here. Even with transport charges they can'e get that much more.

jcr1709
01-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks Dave, appreciate your advice. My sister used to live in Newport up in the Northeast Kingdom. Camped out at the town beach/campground on Lake Memphramagog....nice spot up there. Thanks again. Jamie

3% Solution
01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
jcr,
Wrong Newport, I'm in New Hampshire.
Think I paid $2.40 each for the spouts.

farmall h
01-17-2010, 05:52 PM
jcr, I am about 30 miles away from Newport, VT.

tuckermtn
01-17-2010, 06:53 PM
you want the ones on the right- the leader aluminum ones with the shark fin...

haven't tried the plastic ones so cannot comment...

Dave Y
01-18-2010, 04:52 AM
I have 100 of the stainless spouts on the left. I believe the are CDL. They are junk! They do not stay in the tree and unless they are level all the sap runs down the out side of the bucket. Now if the are as Ken says they are for bags then anyone that has bags can have mine for a buck each.

Gary R
01-18-2010, 05:45 AM
I have 100 of those on the right. Aluminum. I do like them. They are expensive, $2.40 and not that easy to clean. The ones on the left are stainless. I was thinking of buying some to try. They were listed in previous cataloges for only $1.25. Intersestingly they are not in this years Bascom cataloge. I have heard from made that they don't stay in the tree. Could you not rough up the part that sticks in the the tree? As for sap running down the outside of the bucket, the CDL dealer last year was supplying a plastic washer that would hold your bucket further back from the end of the spout.

Dave Y
01-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Gary R
If you want some I will bring some to the maple meeting on Sat if I come.

Gary R
01-18-2010, 01:29 PM
I was thinking about that also Dave. I'll be there, hope you can make it.

maple flats
01-18-2010, 05:56 PM
I used the ones on the right about 4 or 5 years ago in a very high wind area on about 100 buckets total. Did have an occassional one blow off but rarely. This was in a guy's front yard and one near where the wind blew around near the corner of his house I had to use a bungie. Other areas with les wind but still fairly high wind they did not come off. The problem was only when buckets were empty. I did have one break and had to make a puller to remove it by threading the stuck part and then screwing a bolt in thru a large nut with a fender washer over it and thus turning the screwq in pulled the broken piece out. I am not saying this is a problem, just that it happened once.

ctjim
01-19-2010, 05:37 PM
i had some of the ones pictured on the right and as flats mentioned on a very windy area the buckets needed a strap to stay on good, esp when empty. i have recently started to get newer spouts as the ones i have like your right hand pic are getting old, and are hard to clean. i have had some good luck w/ the new blue plastic 5/16 spouts w/ the bucket hook on them. they seem to hold the buckets rather well even in the wind. i still use the straps on my buckets that are on a road side where it always seems to be windy crossing a hay lot and the road. i try to use the buckets w/ the clip on style tops as they seem to take the wind better than the tops that have the pin through the spout.

gregord
01-25-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm new to the group here, but I've tried all sorts of taps and find Embee's plastic 5/16" tree saver is the best. They stay on the trees in wind and produce as much sap as a 1/2" ss tap I've tried. Check out their Web site embee's .ca Their in St Jacob's Ont and I'm sure you won't be disapointed.