PDA

View Full Version : I finaly made some pans

Haynes Forest Products
01-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I have a buddy that owns a fab shop and for the last 5 years we have been talking about making some pans. I was back in Wisconsin for a few days and had time to spend in his shop. He has laser cutters and automated benders and all the Tigs, migs and piles of steel you would want so we broke out the beer and spent the last 4 days making, cutting, drawing and trying to make pans out of one sheet of SS with all the options I have been telling everyone else to do. So let me have it Ebay no. 150406044439

lpakiz
01-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Hey, They look PRETTY DARN GOOD!! Jim, are you and Angela home yet? You should take a look at this Haynes-made setup.

3rdgen.maple
01-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Haynes looks good. If you hit it with a buffer it will look great. I wonder who is gonna be the lucky buyer. KENW this thing has your name all over it.......

KenWP
01-16-2010, 11:09 PM
I checked it out. Looks good. I tried to bid on it but's its a one price deal. Wouldn't accept $10 bucks for a bid. Now would be the time to buy as our money is almost par. Only $19 bucks difference between ours and yours.

vtsnowedin
01-17-2010, 05:45 AM
When I search Ebay for 150406044039 I come up with a Donald duck comic book?? I did find two new pans made in Wisconsin but I don't know if they are yours.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Better change the description to stainless instead of "Satinless" unless you developed a new type of steel also.

Gotta say, great looking pan for a backyarder or someone starting out and very functional with the bottler/preheater built into one. Great idea!

KenWP
01-17-2010, 08:32 AM
It's triple 4 no 0 on the end numbers.

That bottler preheater is actually a good idea. I actually use my preheater as a bottler also. I don't think it will work with the new pans but what the hell .

vtsnowedin
01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
It's triple 4 no 0 on the end numbers.

That bottler preheater is actually a good idea. I actually use my preheater as a bottler also. I don't think it will work with the new pans but what the hell .
DOH!! That will teach me to try anything before the third cup of coffee kicks in.
Nice rugged looking set of pans. They should work well. I'd finish it up and give it a good buff finish and retake the pictures. That will make a much better presentation. When it comes to salesmanship the little things count for a lot.

Haynes Forest Products
01-17-2010, 01:22 PM
try 150406044439

Haynes Forest Products
01-17-2010, 01:30 PM
When I search Ebay for 150406044039 I come up with a Donald duck comic book?? I did find two new pans made in Wisconsin but I don't know if they are yours.
vtsnowedin, try 150406044439

Haynes Forest Products
01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
I checked it out. Looks good. I tried to bid on it but's its a one price deal. Wouldn't accept $10 bucks for a bid. Now would be the time to buy as our money is almost par. Only $19 bucks difference between ours and yours.
KenWP,

Do not understand your question, please contact me at 303-810-5501. Thanks

Haynes Forest Products
01-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Haynes looks good. If you hit it with a buffer it will look great. I wonder who is gonna be the lucky buyer. KENW this thing has your name all over it.......
3rdgen.maple,

The pictures were taken of the mock up demo model and the ones for sale will be in great condition.

3rdgen.maple
01-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Haynes I did read that after the post. I think that is a pretty fair price for everything you get with the deal. I think some backyarders on here should jump on it. Next step is to get an arch mocked up for it and see what you can do with a complete setup.

Haynes Forest Products
01-17-2010, 10:16 PM
The arch is in the works and will be done long distance. Ed the guy Im working with has the Laser cutters and benders that can handle 1/2" so we are in the drawing stages of a door set up and ash door. Its fun to CAD then watch it spit out the parts. Im also not sure what to do about grates. Will be looking on the internet for some or should I not worry about that. Making the arch is easy and I have Ideas about making up a kit that is all the sheet metal with pan angle, legs, flue pipe plate and door face. The big concern is the grate ledge would be made during bricking so Im not sure what people would expect or need/want. Making up a set that will ship in a kit form that can bolted together bricked in and will fit a 2x4 or 2x6 looks stright forward enough.

Haynes Forest Products
01-19-2010, 09:24 AM
I curious of anyone using the Grainger (Watts) Float valves for their float box. I think Jarth3 said he uses one. Im wondering if the 1/2 valve is to big to get to close with the 4" round copper ball or should the egg shaped ones be used? Im not sure that the sap level would be deep enough to open and close under boil?

vtsnowedin
01-19-2010, 12:39 PM
The arch is in the works and will be done long distance. Ed the guy Im working with has the Laser cutters and benders that can handle 1/2" so we are in the drawing stages of a door set up and ash door. Its fun to CAD then watch it spit out the parts. Im also not sure what to do about grates. Will be looking on the internet for some or should I not worry about that. Making the arch is easy and I have Ideas about making up a kit that is all the sheet metal with pan angle, legs, flue pipe plate and door face. The big concern is the grate ledge would be made during bricking so Im not sure what people would expect or need/want. Making up a set that will ship in a kit form that can bolted together bricked in and will fit a 2x4 or 2x6 looks stright forward enough.

I'd make the hole for the grates the same length as at least one of the commercially available grates so the customer doesn't have to worry about availability. My grates rest on an angle iron at the back of the fire box and they go in before the first bricks are placed and the bricking has to be done so you can lift them out to change them. The bottom galvy. sheet to the arch comes down the slope and is crimped over the edge of this same angle iron and runs flat back far enough to give full support to the ends of the grates and the first row of bricks.

3rdgen.maple
01-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Haynes it looks like you sold 2 pans? I see there is only 2 listed now instead of 4. Im thinking that you could rent them out for a season. Heck there are alot of guys that just cannot afford a setup. Might be a way for a guy who wants to grow but cannot get into a larger rig yet to rent one for a season. I do this with equipment in my business and it tends to make more money than an outright sale. Usually once the rental is up they buy them on top of it. Maybe Im thinking stupid here but I do not see any one offering such things in the maple world. Heck if they burn it up you can add it to your collection that your wife loves laying around......

Haynes Forest Products
01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
3rdGen thats an intresting concept. Now you got me thinking and thats always a dangerous thing. I dont need another burnt mangled set of pans around the garage. Im in the process of trying to fix one of my old syrup pans. Im going to try and pound/press out the bends in the bottom and get it electro polished to make it easer to clean. I didnt pound on it with a metal hammer so maybe its not all expanded so Im thinking of a dead blow or lead hammer.

markct
01-24-2010, 07:25 PM
you refer to the back part as the flue pan in your description, but the picture looks like its a flat bottom? is that just cause it was the mockup or are these infact flue pans or shallow corugation flues maybe?

Haynes Forest Products
01-24-2010, 11:53 PM
MarkCT They are flat pans. I guess im used to calling the back section of a evap the flue section. Now you raise a good question is the back pan section called the flue pan because its close to the pipe the Flue gas goes out? Why are the channels in a flue pan called flues?

KenWP
01-25-2010, 05:46 AM
I would guess it's flue pan,drop flue pan and raised flue pan. Just have to have the verb to go with the object being discribed.

3rdgen.maple
01-25-2010, 09:55 PM
My guess is cause the gasses go through those channels acting like they are traveling through a flue. Thanks Haynes now Im confused again:rolleyes: .