PDA

View Full Version : 23 drips in 10 sec

Tim Wagoner
01-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Ok

Here is a question I have wanted to ask but have not known where to until I was told about this page. I have one tree that is putting out 23 drips in 10 sec:D and then one not 20 feet from it not dripping one drop.:confused: Same type of tree, same size, tapped on the same side, same height and both are getting the same amount of sun. My question is. Why is one running and the other is not?

Tim Wagoner
T&K Farms
340 taps 160 on line 180 on buckets and jugs
Lapierre 2X8 with homemade steam preheater hood
Zerro Milk storage tank with UV light
www.tk-farms.com

DrTimPerkins
01-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Ok

Here is a question I have wanted to ask but have not known where to until I was told about this page. I have one tree that is putting out 23 drips in 10 sec:D and then one not 20 feet from it not dripping one drop.:confused: Same type of tree, same size, tapped on the same side, same height and both are getting the same amount of sun. My question is. Why is one running and the other is not?

Could be a couple of different things.

1. Are both maple? :) (just kidding).
2. Maybe you tapped into an area of stained wood in the 2nd tree
3. Under gravity, most of the sap is coming down by gravity from above the taphole. It will run when the ice that was there thaws enough that there is an open pathway above the taphole. This is sort of like a dam. There will be no pressure at all, then suddenly the ice dam melts and pressure spikes upward to the maximum level. Over time, as the sap runs out, the pressure will drop off. So what you're comparing might be just before the dam breaks to just after the dam breaks. Big difference.

3rdgen.maple
01-16-2010, 12:30 PM
I learned from another member on here awhile ago when you got one tree that runs like crazy and then one next to it doesn't you by mistake tapped a jack maple. It does not give you jack :D I actually have a couple that are nice and healthy and they just don't produce well at all. I am stubborn and always stick a tap in them and I get the same results jack @$%&. I think I will just give up on them this year.

red maples
01-16-2010, 06:26 PM
I have 3 of those jack maples(love that one)..right in a row ones before and after produce like crazy these 3 jack. don't know why either.

maple flats
01-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Check the same trees in full leaf this spring/early summer. See if they are the same vigor. Test the sap sugar too. I had one tree on buckets a few years ago that always overflowed the bucket when the others had less than half. The sugar proved to be way low for some reason.

red maples
01-16-2010, 06:43 PM
mine look great in the summer. we'll see this year maybe it was just last year who knows right!!

3rdgen.maple
01-16-2010, 11:16 PM
I really have no idea the crowns on my jack maple look real good in the summer. Never hit any bad spots tapping them either. All I know is 5 years in a row they maybe yeild a cup of sap to every full bucket on the trees next to them. I think I will tap them with the chainsaw this spring and let the young trees growing close to them get a fighting chance. Hate to do it but heck jack don't make syrup but will heat the house.

KenWP
01-16-2010, 11:26 PM
I tapped lots last year that never gave jack either. The biggest sugar I have never gave a cup of sap all season. I cut down a bunch of cedars this summer to see if being in the shade was the problem. A lot of my trees were crowded out by cedars and spruce. I had to just fell a few this fall as I had no time to cut them up and hope the extra sun helps.

Beweller
01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
23 drops in ten seconds! WOW! That's better than 8 liters in ten hours.

maple ridge tappers
01-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Liters? Are you from Ohio, or Canada?;)

Beweller
01-19-2010, 06:18 PM
USA became oficially metric somewhere around 1970.

KenWP
01-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Really confuseing for me because I have to work in US gallons,British gallons and metric on here. 8 liters is a bit better then 2 US gallons . I am glad we at least use the same inchs and feet except for fisherman and joggers. We went Metric while I was in the US and I came across the border and we had 100 posted speed limits. 1976 there abouts here.

maple ridge tappers
01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Still buy my milk, and gasoline buy the gallon!