PDA

View Full Version : filtering aid

michaelh05478
02-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Question on filter presses? Do you have to use the powdered filter aid they sell if so how long will a big bag go?? Thanks for any help......Mike

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Use food grade filter aid. A 50Lb. bag will do close to 1,000 Gals. of syrup or better/All depends upon if your oil or wood fired.

brookledge
02-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Mike
With mine I tend to use more filter aid as the syrup gets darker. A 50 lb. bag definately does quite a bit I never really paid much attention to how many gallons it would do but will agree that around a 1000 gal. What I did was to buy a rubbermaid storage bin and keep it in there that way you can keep a cover on it and not worry about spilling or ripping the bag
Keith

SUGARSMITH
02-14-2005, 07:26 AM
How much filter powder do you use and how do you mix it.

I tried it with about 2 cups of powder per 5 gallons syrup. I had a layer of powder in the bottom of the glass.

I assume a filter let go. I put it together with the marks all on the same side and the holes in th epapere lined up.

Any thoughts as to why this would happen ?

brookledge
02-14-2005, 11:20 PM
When I normally start up my press I have about 15-20 gallons to run through. I put in about three cups and stir it good. then i will put about 1/2to 1 gal in a pail and mix in a little more filter aid. Then run that through first. All that the filter aid does is to make it spongy inside the press so that the syrup can flow through the papers. With out it the papers would plug up instantly. Alot of things can very as to how much syrup you can get through but when it plugs up your sections should just about be full. My sections are about 5/8" thick and when I change it usually the crap is 1/2" thick. As for your press letting stuff by something is not lined up or what I do is let the discharge line go back into the unfiltered syrup for a moment. If you re-heat it after you may get some more nitre that is settling out. Other than that I don't know

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Might have had a plate in backwards. :?

michaelh05478
02-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.......... :D