PDA

View Full Version : homemade releaser

maplemaple2020
01-15-2010, 03:11 PM
hi im new to tubing and im gunna start a vac system i got my vac pump but i cant a real releaser right now and i had some ideas on making some but i wanta hear some people on how they made theres thanks oh and some input:confused:

maple flats
01-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Try a search for "homemade releaser", the topic has surfaced many time and several threads address the issue.

Bucket Head
01-15-2010, 08:37 PM
There are some very interesting video's of some homemade releasers on youtube.com They are made from steel milk cans!

Type in "sap contraption" and hit search, and the the single can set-up should come up. There is a double can video also, although I forget just what brought that one up.

Type in maple sap, milk can, sap gathering, maple vacuum releaser, etc. Try them and see what shows up. You'll see it eventually. I came across it by accident and so will you.

All the home-made, build it yourself equipment guys on here should take a look at them.

Disclaimer: If you decide to build one, try to locate some stainless milk cans for the project. That way you'll have the "food grade material" issue covered if it should come up in the future.

Steve

jrthe3
01-15-2010, 08:43 PM
i have been 3 year building one and finily came got one to work good and relyable but i have a 100 plus hours in it and alot of machine work i think the ezest home built one in my mind is a electric releaser if this is some thing that will work for you i can give you tips on one

maplemaple2020
01-16-2010, 10:04 AM
ive seen just about every single video of the relesers and the milk can one is the one i had some ideas on i made a prodotype out of a soda bottle how i was gunna build it and it worked fine i would build one imeditily but i just dont have the supplies or much tools

P.S. any of you guys wanna sell me 100 tees and 1000 feet of 5/16
thanks Giovanni:mrgreen:

maplemaple2020
01-17-2010, 07:38 AM
i was going to make a mechanical releaser and i decided itr would be more complicated so im going to make an electic i was thinking of geting a sump pump and sticking it in a bucket with a lid for vac and i think it would work fine when i get it done ill show you guys:D:D:D:D

DaveB
02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
i was going to make a mechanical releaser and i decided itr would be more complicated so im going to make an electic i was thinking of geting a sump pump and sticking it in a bucket with a lid for vac and i think it would work fine when i get it done ill show you guys:D:D:D:D

Did you ever do this? I was thinking about this myself. I was wondering if I could mount a submersible pump with a float valve inside a tube and connect the mainline and the vacuum line to it. As it fills up with sap, the pump would empty it so it would never get to the vacuum intake. I have no idea if this would work, but that was my thought.

I've attached a crude drawing of what I was thinking. The entire unit would be sealed so the vacuum would hold but the sap would be evacuated by the pump so it would never fill up. So I'm wondering if this would work. If it would, I could save having a tank in the woods and have it pump straight to my main tank at the sugar house.

Brokermike
02-16-2011, 12:16 PM
I started down the same route. However after adding up the pump and the parts that I would need to withstand the vacuum it became quickly apparent that I could buy a used Bender releaser for much less $

DaveB
02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
I started down the same route. However after adding up the pump and the parts that I would need to withstand the vacuum it became quickly apparent that I could buy a used Bender releaser for much less $

Hmmm....I haven't seen one for sale and not sure where I could pick one up. I didn't think about that way. I was only thinking about commercial maple sap releasers that cost hundreds. Any suggestions on where to look for one?

Harbor Freight and Northern Tool have pumps for around $50 and I could get a suitable pipe (a 12-14" X 2' PVC Pipe) for around $35. I'm not sure about the fittings and silicone to seal it up and some metal sheets for the ends, but I would think this could be done around $100.

Thanks....Dave

Brokermike
02-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I bought mine from a fellow trader and just upgraded to a hobby 500 because it is much less finicky. It's for sale now.

I would love to go with an electric releaser and did tons of research on the trader. It seems that you need a BIG piece of PVC, or a small zero tank to make it work well. Or you end up with a bunch of repurposed solenoid valves as others have done.

I was not able to find a pump that could overcome 20" of vacuum for less than $150. Do you have the specs on the HF pump? I'd love to build an electric releaser, as they don't lose any vacuum when they dump.

DaveB
02-16-2011, 01:28 PM
I was not able to find a pump that could overcome 20" of vacuum for less than $150. Do you have the specs on the HF pump? I'd love to build an electric releaser, as they don't lose any vacuum when they dump.

Maybe I'm missing something....I was just thinking that the pump, in an enclosed container (even under vacuum) would be able to pump out. Here's the pump that I was thinking about:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-hp-vertical-float-sump-pump-95591.html

They have up to 1.5HP for $20 more.

If the impeller is submerged, wouldn't the vacuum's effect be null there, but still exist above the water (sap) line? It's not like I'm thinking of having a hose in the sap and trying to suck it up....the pump would be in the sap. I guess I'm missing something.

dnap63
02-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Dave, I think you have a viable idea. The pump being enclosed within the vacuum chamber (releaser) is would not be affected by the low pressure,however It would have to overcome the higher atmospheric pressure outside in order to pump itself out. Just rounding numbers 20" of vacuum would be close to 10psi, I believe the pump would have to be capable of pumping 20' vertical in order to overcome the difference in pressure. also a check valve would need to be in place on the discharge line.

DaveB
02-17-2011, 08:14 AM
It would have to overcome the higher atmospheric pressure outside in order to pump itself out. Just rounding numbers 20" of vacuum would be close to 10psi, I believe the pump would have to be capable of pumping 20' vertical in order to overcome the difference in pressure. also a check valve would need to be in place on the discharge line.

Now that you mention the higher atmospheric pressure, that makes sense to me. I knew I was missing something! The pump specs say it can lift 20', but the 1 & 1½ HP can lift 24 & 26' so I think one of those might be a better fit for not much more.

I can also see the importance of the check valve. I'll have to look for one of those. This might be totally viable! I have a bush wit 150-200 taps where I want to add vacuum. I have a vacuum pump, but do not have a releaser and couldn't afford a commercial one. The only thing I'll have to see about is getting electricity down there. It's about 500' from my sugar house where I have electricity. Hmmm....