PDA

View Full Version : tapped in rockland county

nybackyarder
01-15-2010, 01:52 PM
weatherman says it will be above freezing for the next 10 days. i put out 15 taps today will do the second 15 tomorrow. (hope i am not too early) :)

MaplePancakeMan
01-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Where in Rockland County are you. Im a few counties north of you ...i put a test tap in beautiful weather and the trees running well but i know that here the temp can fluctuate like crazy. I won't think of putting mine in til early feb. However i have tapped this early before. Good Luck and hope the weather holds for you!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Don't worry about being too early. If you taps dry up by March 1st, find another 15 to 20 trees and pull the dry taps and put them in new trees.

nybackyarder
01-16-2010, 11:57 PM
had good sap for last two days, and the weather looks to be good for a while. guess its an early start this year (in the past i have tapped around feb 1). good luck to everyone for a good season.

maplepancakeman i am in airmont, i get up near you sometimes for work i wish i lived a little further north where my neighbors could be a little further away and don't call the fire department when i fire up the evaporator :mad:

MaplePancakeMan
01-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah.. i don't have too many neighbors but i do live right off the parkway and i had someone call the fire department on me because they thought i was onfire. Which at my parents house at 330 in the morning they came rushing up the driveway. Only to chat with me for about 30 mintues before leaving haha.

nybackyarder
01-17-2010, 10:49 PM
yeah the fire department gets a kick out of me and likes to check out my operation and chat. but it does get annoying because the neighbors usually call half a dozen times per season