PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting a syrup Hydrometer

valleyman
01-15-2010, 08:51 AM
I recieved a syrup hydrometer and cup from my saphaulers (kids) this Christmas. Is it OK to use it "out of the box"? Or do I have to adjust it. I have limited understanding about the actual science part of the process.

Last year I used a thermometer and the sheeting test to get me close. Some batches were thin, some just right. I want to try to perfect the craft this season.

wcproctor
01-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I used mine right out of the box and it is on the money but you should learn how to sheet with your trowel first. the old way and its the best way.

SilverLeaf
01-15-2010, 09:16 AM
you should learn how to sheet with your trowel first.

"sheet with your trowel"? Never heard of that before. What exactly do you mean by this...? :confused:

valleyman
01-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Lets test my novice knowledge here. What wc is referring to is when you dip your scoop into the liquid gold and watch it drip off the "trowel". When the syrup is near ready, the drips will start to gather and join up together along the edge to form a "sheet" instead of drips.

Jelly is tested in the same fashion.

Dill
01-15-2010, 09:51 AM
I know a couple producers who can do that. 1 can do the sheet test better than a hydrometer. But he's been boiling for 65 years. I haven't perfected it,actually I can't do it at all. Nor does the thermometer work for me. I like the hydrometer, its just testing density. And don't drop it straight down into the cup, slide it in.

mapleman3
01-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Always have 2 hydrometers, and make sure they read the same... that way you can always test one against the other if your not sure AND AND for that time you do drop it... And you will...you will have a back up ready!!!

SilverLeaf
01-15-2010, 10:36 AM
ok. gotcha. I know what you're talkin' about now. I actually use a spoon for the "sheet test" rather than a trowel. But you're right, Dill - it's hard! It'll be a good many more years before I trust myself more than a hydrometer...:lol:

Toblerone
01-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I'll never use a thermometer again, they are too variable. The hydrometer is the only way to go. One tip, though, I read somewhere to always clean and dry your hydrometer between measurements... especially the area on the stem as any leftover syrup film on the top can weigh it down and give a false reading.

vtsnowedin
01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Ayup you can use it right out of the box. That's whats good about them. They don't go out of adjustment. They don't care what the air pressure is or the humidity or which way the wind is blowin. And I wouldn't worry about cleaning it if you testing hot syrup. cold syrup that's a different matter. Any syrup that will come up to the hot red line on your hydrometer will taper off a scoop or spoon but not all syrup that will taper or sheet off a scoop will put the hydrometer up to the line. That's why the hydrometer is THE legal standard. Just how were you planning on adjusting it anyway?:)

johnallin
01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Hydrometers can go out .... the paper can slip inside the glass tube.
Always a good idea to take a new hydrometer, set it down and make a mark at the bottom and where the red line is. You can then check it as the season progresses to make sure the paper has not moved up or down.
Just my 2 cents....

valleyman
01-15-2010, 03:48 PM
vtsnowedin,
Thats a good question. I thought I read that hydrometer may not be accurate because the scale could slip and would need to calibrated. I currently dont have a clue how I would accomplish that.
I'm glad that it should be fine as is.
Thanks

vtsnowedin
01-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Hydrometers can go out .... the paper can slip inside the glass tube.
Always a good idea to take a new hydrometer, set it down and make a mark at the bottom and where the red line is. You can then check it as the season progresses to make sure the paper has not moved up or down.
Just my 2 cents....
Well I suppose you can swing it over your head and pound it on the table two or three times and get the paper inside to move without breaking the glass if your lucky but considering they cost $17.50 each why would you do that?
I'm not trying to be contrary here but they are good durable devices and if treated properly they give good service. I have never seen one with the paper dislodged with the glass intact. Have you?

maple flats
01-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Many open houses offer a testing of hydrometers. A hydrometer can be used right out of the box, IF IT HAS NEVER BEEN BUMPED HARD ENOUGH TO SLIDE THE PAPER SCALE. Use the measuring method for a reference. Another thing to keep in mind is that as the temp changes the hydrometer floats at different points. To be accurate you must be at either 209 or 60 and use the proper line to read the density. Another way is to get an Accu-cup from the maple guys. It has a thermometer built in that gives you the temp if you follow the instructions. Then it comes with a chart to know what reading you should get at any given temperature. The Accu-cup was invented by The Maple Guys, who founded this forum, others may also sell them now also.

brookledge
01-15-2010, 07:08 PM
I know Jim said you need 2 to check each other but I'd say you need 3. If you have only 2 and they don't agree then which one is off? With three the one that is off will disagree with the other two.
Now do I have three No but another thing that can be done to elaborate on John's post is keep the original box it came in. Take a pen or marker and make a mark in the box at the red hot line. now you can put the hydrometer back in the box and check to see if the paper has moved.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Just a side note for newer hydrometer users, need to keep the stem clean above the red line as you are testing throughout the day, sugar/syrup will build up on the upper part of the stem and cause it to be heavier and cause the syrup to be heavy due to faulty reading.

Good idea to wipe it off a few times throughout the day.

Brent
01-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Wiping clean is important, but only part of the story. If you drop you hydrometer into the syrup, even from 1/2" above the red line, it will submerge too far and coat the stem above the red line when it bobs back up, giving you a false reading. Lower very carefully.

The Acu-Cup with its built in thermometer is the way to go. You can get accurate readings at any temp. If you get one and dump in some hot water you'll be surprised how fast the temp goes up and then back down. Trying to take a reading at 211 is pretty tough.

Homestead Maple
01-15-2010, 08:59 PM
The North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual says, 'Make sure the hydrometer is clean and dry ( a slight film of water on the hydrometer is acceptable and may actually help break surface tension, but it should not be dripping wet).
With a standard syrup hydrometer, the movement of the scale paper 1/8 inch represents an error of 1 degree brix or 1/2 degree baume. The key to recognizing this source of error is being aware of where the scale paper should be positioned in each hydrometer that is used. If the hydrometer is stored in it's original box, mark the position of the top of the scale paper on the inside bottom or side of the box to use as a reference, or this can be done on a sheet of paper.

3rdgen.maple
01-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Yes the paper scales move and I can attest to it. I have 3 just like already mentioned I tested them When I got them and one was off by alot. Sent it back and got a replacement and that one did not read the same as the other 2. So I was left with wondering. Is the 2 that read the same off and the other ones right? Don't know and still wonder. But I took one of the 2 that read the same and marked the red line with a permanent marker and I use that as the one I check the others against. I think just after continous use and the thing tapping the bottom of the cup it eventually moves the scale. I check regulary throughout the season and have seen one last year be off and no I did not drop it or beat it with a hammer. My grandfather taught me the sheeting trick and works pretty well for me. The scoop he used is the same I use and If it sheets off and clings for 3/4 of an inch on it before it comes off I would bet you the hydrometer says it is done.

Russell Lampron
01-16-2010, 05:55 AM
I have 4 hydrometers and have the ones that I use tested every year. Even if the hydrometer is off it is still useable. Just add or subtract the number of points that it is off by to your reading. The hydrometer is not adjustable. I use the Accu cup and a hydrometer that is scaled in 2 tenths increments when I can syrup to get the density correct.

johnallin
01-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I have never seen one with the paper dislodged with the glass intact. Have you?

Yes I have

Brent
01-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I just took a look at 3 of my hydrometers under a magnifying light and each had a least2 dobs of someting between the glass and paper. I would think it was glue. Next time I break one ( likely about 8 weeks from now ) I'll see if they are glued.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Guess I am fortunate, I have been using the same hydrometer for 15+ years. I have a backup just in case as I know it can't last forever using it on concrete floors.

johnallin
01-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Received an Accu cup for my birthday this past year and am looking forward to using it. Where do you find a hydrometer with the 2 tenths increments? The chart is pretty specific - 32.0, 32.25 etc- but I don't think my hydometer is scaled any where near that.

Brent
01-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I just got a quote from The Maple Guys for $120 for a 12" Acu-cup cup so I can use an expanded scale hydrometer in it. I love the expanded scale.

johnallin
01-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Whoops, mine is a 10" accu cup, didn't know they made a 12" but it sounds like that is required to use an expanded scale hydrometer.