PDA

View Full Version : Stack Left Up??

PARKER MAPLE
01-14-2010, 05:18 PM
So Im In The Process Of Getting My Stack Up Through The Roof, Its Not That Bad Of A Job Because Its Only 14' Of 10". But My Question Is How Many Of You Leave Yours Up Year Round. And If You Do So Do You Have A Stack Cover On It?
I Suspose That Im Going To Raise Mine Know And Then Take It Back Down In Mid To Late April For The Summer Months..

nymapleguy607
01-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Once my stack is up I leave it up. I have a stack cover to keep the water out
The only time it comes down is when I need to replace a section

jrthe3
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
i take mine down ever year and put it up right befor my first boil and take it down as soon as the evaporator is clean

red maples
01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
why would you take it down? I have a cover on mine. leave it up.

Fairfield Sugarmaker
01-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Leave it up with a cover on it and you will be fine

3rdgen.maple
01-14-2010, 11:05 PM
I take it down. Always have always will. Reasons, Cap or no cap I have seen the ever tell tale signs of peoples stacks with the water stains running down them No sense of letting it sit there unused in the weather, takes the extra weight of the arch and if by chance it does leak there is no chance of the moisture getting in the arch and rusting any non ss metal, the darn things sit up there pretty high taking a beating from the winds and I hate to say this but theft ss stack is not cheap. It takes only a few minutes to take it down and put it up but it takes some hard earned money to replace it. Maybe I over cautious but I don't have to worry about it sitting in the sugarhouse in the off season.

smitty76
01-15-2010, 05:13 AM
I leave mine up year round and have had no problems.

Dave Y
01-15-2010, 06:22 AM
well you fellas can take your stacks down if you want. But for myself Once it is up it is up till it is wore out 24ft of 18" SS isnt all that easy to handle.

ennismaple
01-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Our old stack was 16" square and 35 feet high and we needed to take it down every year old it would get damaged in a wind storm. The first day we boiled last season it was so windy we almost lost it. It warped but the tie-backs held.

The Force 5 has a 17" round SS stack and I'll likely still take it down. It'll leak less and should last longer.

mapleack
01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
We have a 2 x 3 "dog house" built into the roof around the roof jack. It's got a removable wood and flashing lid that comes off, top sections of stack go on for season, then closed back up weather tight for the rest of the year.

PerryW
01-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Mine is 20' of 15" stainless with a stack cover. I had a hard enough time getting it up there in the first place, so I ain't taking it down!

FOr a poor man's stack cover, you can take a small trash can or pail and lift it up and drop it on the top of the stack using a long piece of strapping.

RileySugarbush
01-15-2010, 01:01 PM
We just have black stove pipe, but it's holding up fine with a bucket over the top between seasons. Certainly no one is going to steal it!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Good reason to go with stainless, it is stronger than any other type and won't have to worry about corrosion. 5 gallon bucket works good for covering it up at the end of the season and take electrical tape and and go across the bottom of the bucket which is upside down on the stack and go down each sides of the stack 2 times and it will hold it in place until next year.