PDA

View Full Version : january thaw

Acer
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Running a little (very little) every day here on test taps.
Next 6 days look like it will continue or get better.
Sun soaked thermometer on the porch says 75.

My trees are all in full sun with thawed feet, I'd be tempted if i was ready.

Dean

red maples
01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
where are you in nh that your thermometer says 75?? indoor or outdoor?mine says 43and thats in the sun ...I think you need to get that checked!

it never broke 32 in the shade here closer to the sacoast.

Mac_Muz
01-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Your a few weeks early. This is Jan as you know and it will get too cold yet, and the taps will dry up. I hope your test trees are not also user trees.

3% Solution
01-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi all,
Ok that's it, the January thaw is done.
Colder than the past few days coming our way.
Storm on it's way too.
Oh well that's winter!

Dave

red maples
01-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Your a few weeks early. This is Jan as you know and it will get too cold yet, and the taps will dry up. I hope your test trees are not also user trees.

I said I wasn't going to tap any...but.. uh.. Idid anyway did 5 and not user trees did some way out that I wasn't planning on tapping til next year when I have a vac and can put in a sap latter!!! got like 1 gallon of sap total if there was 1 more day like today then I think it would run great but back to winter right!!!

gator330
01-16-2010, 06:17 PM
I hope winter is on it's way back in. All this nice weather is making people act goofy in the north east. It's only Jan. 16th. put the drill away!!!!!

red maples
01-16-2010, 06:48 PM
its away don't worry. just wanted to see what'd I get!!! It was nice out today though did some Ice fishing with the kids think I got a little sun burn on my face!!:)

peacemaker
01-16-2010, 07:42 PM
heres the problem its barely getting warm enough and when it does takes till 1 or 2 oclock and its dropping down below as soon as the sun drops ...i was in the sh all day driveway was wet as soon as the sun started to set it was a sheet of ice

not long enough to get them to run

Mac_Muz
01-17-2010, 10:44 AM
RM, I was kinda responding to the OP...

More or less I got a e-mail notification for a pm, which of course was spam.

Since I live in NH, I figured to check on the NH tapping thread... Don't get shook.

I am all for a half decent season, this time too. The past couple years have been way low IMO sap wise. I got more buckets out than I ever had, and make less syrup for it.

I am a back yarder too, no big shot, and don't wanna be.