PDA

View Full Version : who needs face book??

red maples
01-14-2010, 09:36 AM
I have a friend who was my best friend in Highschool haven't seen him in 15 + years who has been looking for me on facebook. He live by my sister in-law in scanton, PA. I told her he can find me on maple trader.com...she said what is that ....I said its my facebook!!!!:D

smitty76
01-14-2010, 09:49 AM
My wife and several of my friends say that I need to get on face book but I think you have nailed it down here red maples.

mapleman3
01-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Guilty ;) I use it but not addicted.... here is a much better place !

Frank Ivy
01-25-2010, 09:38 PM
The problem with Facebook is the pop ins from people you haven't seen in 20 years, and you really didn't know them that well back then. They have 4,000 friends on Facebook. And if you say "yes" to every one of those, then you end up with 200 "friends," most of whom aren't people you'd hang out with in real life. If you say "no," then somebody from HS thinks you're a jerk. Ayy!

Haynes Forest Products
01-25-2010, 10:46 PM
REALLY im a nice guy........If I had some friends you could ask them.

red maples
01-26-2010, 09:13 AM
yeah... I ran into someone from HS last year and didn't really know them then, and didn't even recognize him but he remembered me. "like a ned ryerson encounter from Ground hog day" wanted to go have a beer I said uuuhhh soorryy man got thing ya know !!! funny beacuse I was the on the out going party guy and I think he was at a "non-alcohol" party having fun playing scrabble that we tried to crash with a beer ball...oh wow sorry just dated myself!!! beer balls remember those things.

smitty76
01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
the only beer balls i've seen were empties turned into lamps.

ennismaple
01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
The problem with Facebook is the pop ins from people you haven't seen in 20 years, and you really didn't know them that well back then. They have 4,000 friends on Facebook. And if you say "yes" to every one of those, then you end up with 200 "friends," most of whom aren't people you'd hang out with in real life. If you say "no," then somebody from HS thinks you're a jerk. Ayy!

Accept their friend invitation and a few months later when you've exchanged zero messages you remove them as a friend.

Clan Delaney
01-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Accept their friend invitation and a few months later when you've exchanged zero messages you remove them as a friend.

There are some people out there who will actually check their "friend count" every time they log on, and if it's gone down, they set about trying to figure who it was. Kinda like reverse stalking.

I joined maybe three years ago, but only started visiting regularly in the past 18 months. There are people who jumped right up when I joined, sending friend requests. Many I accepted, some of the most obscure I ignored (really... if we weren't friendly back in the day, and haven't talked since, then why start now?)

I started a Facebook group for my sugar house this year (it's here (http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=occ&init=quick#/pages/Occasional-Creek-Maple/247261493177?ref=search&sid=789736177.648109449..1), if you're interested) which is just a re-direct for the operation's website. I see it as just another tool to get the word out about what I do.

southdevonbeef
01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I joined facebook as a tool to help market our farm products. Maple syrup, honey and beef. Many of these "old" friends even the ones that you never really knew well in school or whatever can become customers. I've sent syrup to Florida and California and have some "friends" in South dakota and New York City that want to buy some. Plus it has been fun to post pictures of the farm and sugarhouse on my page and read the response. So the whole facebook thing has worked out good for me so far. Mike

red maples
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
wow what a good idea. I might join just to mark the syrup!!!

smitty76
01-27-2010, 05:23 AM
southdevon, how do you ship your syrup?

southdevonbeef
01-27-2010, 06:50 AM
I bought shipping boxes that fit pint and quart size containers. I wrap them in bubble wrap that I buy at staples and mail them via USPS. I am going to check out UPS and FEDEX since I think they maybe cheaper. The key to packing syrup is to wrap it so you can shake the box and feel nothing move. So far no broken syrup containers. When I was in Afghanistan I sent a lot of glassware home and most made it in good shape, so I pack the syrup the same way. Also the customer pays shipping. Mike

smitty76
01-27-2010, 11:23 AM
thank you southdevon.

red maples
05-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Well I finally gave in and started facebook..its alot of fun...but I got folks I don't remember wanting to be friends...I actually had to go look in my old year book to find who these people were and you know I wasn't friends with them now so why would I want to be friends with them now just becasue I am kinda grown up now!!!!

only it makes me feel old because everyone is grey or fat or bald and kids all over the place. gee I think I aged pretty good!!!

Dennis H.
05-24-2010, 01:46 PM
What a joke it is!
I started on a few months ago and have no time to visit it, since I am always here on the Trader!!:rolleyes:
So after about 2 months of not visiting it at all and getting friend requests from people I never heard of I closed down my account.

To me it has no real use.

Ausable
05-24-2010, 02:56 PM
We could be annexed by facebook and start a new weird game called mapleville - ha - and plant sugar maples and buy and sell pints of syrup for coins and as we grow in coins buy firewood and evaporators and sugar shacks and stuff ------ whoops------ we already do this----- who needs facebook -- we already have our own version and it is more fun ---