PDA

View Full Version : my releaser

jrthe3
01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
here is a pic of my completed releaser valve assembily have not tryed it out yet hope to do that tomorrow i let all know how it goes

PATheron
01-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Boyd- Did you make that all from scratch? Looks real good. Theron

Dennis H.
01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Very Nice Boyd, let us know how it works.

Can you give anymore details of the workings or is it a trade secret?:lol:

Russell Lampron
01-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't have even posted a picture. If it works get a patent on it before someone steals your design and patents it themselves.

caseyssugarshack93
01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
patents cost alot lol

jrthe3
01-13-2010, 07:21 PM
it is all hand made about 100 hours into it the patten is already in the works
the hardest part of the patten prosess is the drawings paten don't cost as much as the lawyer do

caseyssugarshack93
01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
r u going to patend it? its looking pretty good though i must say, looks like it will work like a charm, do you have a manifold on the back? i can tell from the picture

jrthe3
01-13-2010, 07:49 PM
yes i have already started the paten proces i have done all the paten work all the drawings sent everything in paid for everything i called this morning and it a done deal i just waiting for the certifacate of patent to come this thing has ben about two years in the making
that is just the top in the pic it is sitting on a scrap peace of pipe

i will post pics of it all togather

jrthe3
01-13-2010, 07:59 PM
this one is really just a prototype this summer i will refine it and make it look good

caseyssugarshack93
01-13-2010, 08:42 PM
thats good, that way noone can steal your idea, let us know how it works,

Dennis H.
01-14-2010, 01:27 AM
you are actually apppling for a patent?

How much to you think you can make off this if someone decides to use your idea??

Anyway Very nice and the way it sounds hard work.
It looks like you are using some sort of shuttle valve type mech to stop the sap from running into the releaser while it is dumping.

For what I have seen out there is that there are quit a few differnet designs and it is neat how differnet people can come up with different ways of doing something.
For me if I design something I don't have a problem showing and helping anyone do the same. I like finding other ways of doing something and in the end not having to give some of my hard earned $$ to big companies.

DrTimPerkins
01-14-2010, 06:03 AM
... i just waiting for the certifacate of patent to come this thing has ben about two years in the making

Don't hold your breath waiting for the patent to arrive. It can take 18-36 months these days for a patent to be issued.

jrthe3
01-14-2010, 07:36 AM
dennis h i have no prob with helping the little guy out i would help some one build one i don't know if i would sell it it would have to take a lot of money or i really good deal like a lot of free stuff for a long time i am like everyone else on here i not in it to make money i in to have fun my plan is to get it nailed down working and build them and sell them to the little guy i also have plans and am working on the paten for a double releaser

Dr tim when i called yesterday it is offically mine it in the books it could take up to six mouths i just wanted to make sure it was safe befor a posted

DrTimPerkins
01-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Dr tim when i called yesterday it is offically mine it in the books it could take up to six mouths i just wanted to make sure it was safe befor a posted

Good for you....and smart. All it takes is that the application is filed. Good luck with it.

Dennis H.
01-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Go for it Boyd, I don't have a problem with it. My take on it is if you have a good idea and want to go for the patent great. I just think it would be more of a hassle, and for me, time that I could use for other things.

It looks like you are similar to me in that you like to to tinker around building things. I don't know about you but I made more failures than I ever made success's.

Sorry if I came off like a putz.

jrthe3
01-14-2010, 07:06 PM
o no dennis i just like you i have built prob ten different releasers befor i came accross an idea that works

but i did run it to a little bump in the road today not a big think just some clearance prob with the small lines should be all fixed tomorrow and ready for the final test run

jrthe3
01-15-2010, 08:52 PM
go it working good today seams to be on it game it ran for an hour with no snags other then a small vacuum leak where the float rod come threw the top lid i just have to find a bifferent seal

jcb
01-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Looks great, nice work. Have you thought about just selling the plans and a parts list?

jrthe3
01-16-2010, 09:23 PM
jcb i haven't throught of that but it is a possibility the only down fall is the machine work i would be worryed about selling something to some one them building it and not getting it to work then your try to touble shooting over the phone it would worry me

dnap63
01-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Boyd, I have built camera housings and other equipment for underwater use, though the application is different the pricipal is the same, the pushrod on a releaser is the same as a camera control rod. A simple way to make a through fitting is to use a standard compression fitting and replace the compression sleeve with an o-ring, lubricate with silicone grease and replace the nut. the rod will be able to move with an airtight seal. I have also been throught the patent process. it is expensive and long process, it is wise to have a good patent attorney. Be prepared for several rejections, it is part of the normal process, a good attorney will try to make the patent as broad as possible and the patent office will want it as specific as possible. A patent that is too specific to a design may not be worth much, as it could only take a slight change from someone with deeper pockets to be able to capitolize on an idea. Unless you have a lot of money to defend your patent it may be all for nothing not to mention that a patent is only good in the US unless you apply for an international patent which is very expensive and even more expensive to defend. I guess my personal feelings are that unless you want a patent certificate to hang on the wall, which is a nice thing, the maple industry is too small a market to warrant investing in a patent. The exception to that is if your design is for something so new and revolutionary most everyone will want one ( the new check valve for example).

lpakiz
01-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Also, as I understand it, the patent only gives you the legal basis to defend your invention from copy-cats. When someone infringeses (sp?), it is up to you to hire an attorney and get the legal process going--and you will bear the expense unless you win and can collect damages. Seemed to me to be a process that benefits lawyers the most.