PDA

View Full Version : arch board??

03weim
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
can someone tell me if this will work. I bricked my fire box but on the way to the stove pipe I wanted to close off the space under the pan to about 5 inches I used arch board from bascoms with out fire brick on top of it? what are your thought on it ?

HHM-07
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
it will be fine for a few years, not a permenent solution

Dick

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-13-2010, 04:55 PM
I think you need the space closed off more than 5 inches under the pans.

03weim
01-13-2010, 05:21 PM
as long as it will make this and maybe next season I will be happy. how close should the pan be to the bottom of the arch, its a 2x3 flat pan on a homemade evap. with a 1'x2' fire box. at the end of the season I want to make some modifications to it, I thought I was doing good with a 5" gap at the front and a 2" gap at the back the original gap was about 13" and I closed it off by standing up fire bricks and running arch board on them to the back of the evap.

Thanks John

KenWP
01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Thats what you need. To force the heat up under the pans at the back.

3rdgen.maple
01-13-2010, 06:26 PM
I would give her a test boil like you have it now. Running a flat pan you need some space like you have it. Gotta remember that even though on our flue pans we brick up tight there is alot of air space between the flues for draft. If you are too close you are gonna choke it out. Go with that 5 inche setup and modify from there if needed.

red maples
01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
can someone tell me if this will work. I bricked my fire box but on the way to the stove pipe I wanted to close off the space under the pan to about 5 inches I used arch board from bascoms with out fire brick on top of it? what are your thought on it ?

that will work but you can always just set a few full or split bricks on top dry if your worried.

the arch borad will melt over time but the flames usually lick the bottom of the pan in that spot.

3rdgen.maple
01-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Another member on here just mixed a slury of refactory cement and slopped it over the archboard under the pans. Remember them saying it worked well for them.

red maples
01-13-2010, 06:47 PM
oh yeah that will work too. I did that in a few little spots too. Just becareful beacuse in thin layers its brittle.