PDA

View Full Version : In the News "Maple Syrup, the New Sugar?"

aunt stellas gardens
01-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Here is a link to an interesting and sweet story about our favorite sugar, I found this on the FOX news website. Made me smile.:)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582824,00.html

brookledge
01-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Nice article. I have always felt maple can be expanded on in the cooking and food products. When you go into the store you can find honey this and honey that but not many maple mustards, maple bbq sauces etc.
Keith

maple flats
01-14-2010, 08:42 AM
I think I might make copies of that article with due credit and have then as a handout in the sugarhouse. Hopefully more customers will start cooking with maple instead of just pancakes and waffles.
As an aside, we just started milling our own flour from wheat. If you want a real treat try fresh made flour for making waffles. It seams that flour degrades rather quickly when milled. If you try it store the extra flour in the fridge and just mill small batches. Wheat stores well for a thousand years but flour degrades in just a very few days if not refridgerated. By the way, a hand mill is very slow but an electric mill can mill 2 cups of wheat to make about 4 cups of flour in less than a minute.

red maples
01-14-2010, 09:28 AM
thats a good idea!!!

sapman
01-14-2010, 09:26 PM
My sister has been doing this for years. We have a deal with her where we even exchange our syrup for her bread. Works for us!

Tim

3rdgen.maple
01-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Good article for sure. Glad to see maple being reconized. I like the idea of passing the article on but I just might pass out a pamphlet to buyers with loads of maple recipes to entice them to use more syrup. Maybe change it to say pure 3rdgen.maple syrup instead of just pure maple syrup;).

KenWP
01-15-2010, 05:33 AM
My teacher in school dosn't use anything but maple to cook with. She's a farm girl from out in the boonies of Quebec.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-15-2010, 06:59 AM
My wife watches Food Network all the time and many of the chefs on their use maple syrup on a regular basis.

Homestead Maple
01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
This is a great article that will help promote the use of maple and benefit all those that produce maple. I hope we see more of this type of news that will help educate people about the benefits of using maple.