PDA

View Full Version : Report SPAM here.

mapleman3
12-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Everyone, As always, thanks for all your help, we have thwarted some spammers here and there, these past few weeks I had almost 500 new registrations to look over and approve.. MOST are spammers, Bots and other commercial junk. Thank you to the maybe 20+ new members that were MORE than patient waiting to be approved. I may have to go back and ban GMAIL, it seems most of the spammers use it, I will have to wait for folks to ask me why they cant register and why their email is banned... it's not your email but Gmail. Sorry hopefully it will not be too bad.

On another note , Any help I can get with reports of spammers getting through and posting will be a huge help. you can hit the report tab, PM or email Clan Delaney or I and we will get it removed asap.

Lets help keep Maple Trader Spammer Free and all about Maple !!!

Have a great Christmas, Hannuka and New Years.. Maple is just around the corner!!!

Farmboy
12-09-2009, 06:25 AM
You guys are going a great job. Only once in a while will someone get through and then the problem is taken care of fast. Keep up the good work.

Maplebrook
12-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys for keeping a great site running smoothly. Keep up the good work!
Darren

Sugarmaker
12-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Jim, and Clan,
You guys are the best! Keeping this site up and spam free. It will be well worth the wait for new members.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your families!

I am just curious how much time does it take to "manage" this site per day?

I know one thing I don't see many posts from either of you just chit chatting:)

Regards,
Chris Casbohm

3% Solution
12-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Clan and Jim,
I'm with the others here, thanks for maintaining the site, it's a great place to be!!!
It's nice to go to a place that is "Spam Free"!!
Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Dave

Saw Filer
12-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I agree with the others,the folks who run this excellent site do a great job, thank you!
Happy Holidays to all.

george

nas
12-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Keep up the great work!
Merry Christmas, Happy New year!!

Nick

jtthibodeau
12-12-2009, 08:34 AM
I, for one, consider this forum to be one of the very best and I'm happy/proud to be a member. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. And, a very special thanks to Mapleman3 and all the other members who make this site what it is.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you here at MapleTrader.

maple flats
12-12-2009, 04:55 PM
That might be part of why I had a hard time signing in after getting a new computer. I kept requesting my password and was told my email was invalid. I do not use gmail but wondered what was going on. Things are good now. Thanks Mapleman3 and Clan, you keep this a great site. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all Mapletraders.
Dave

red maples
12-12-2009, 05:43 PM
thanks yeah saw one of those the other was like... what the??? spammers are everywhere gotta keep em out. doing a great job!!!

mapleman3
01-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks to those members alerting me of another spammer...the user tucceefdype has been thwarted and deleted along with any private messages they may have sent out... THANK YOU FOR YOU VIGILANCE!!

KenWP
01-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Anybody else get some crap from somebody called Maplemoore. Figured it was a good email when I found it today but turned out to be a good reason it was in my garbage box.

mapleman3
01-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Ken I'm Looking into it now, Thanks for the heads up.... They(spammers) are starting to get too smart.

Smitty
01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Jim,
i use gmail, sorry to hear of the gmail problems. i guess if you need to get rid
of the gmailers please do, (you guys do a great job here :) ). what ever it
takes to keep it great. i will change my email account if i have to, but a
heads up would be cool.

thanks,
Al Smith ( P.S. keep up the good work)

mapleman3
01-12-2010, 08:07 PM
The only time the ban is effective is at registration time otherwise any of you that have a gmail address and are already registered it doesn't affect you, do not to worry.

Thanks

Smitty
01-12-2010, 08:10 PM
thanks again jim:mrgreen:

Dill
01-13-2010, 08:56 AM
We got another
Anonymous Surfing
09:54 AM GefMaypejef

Lots of maple in Croatia.

JD COOK FARM
01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Being new to maple and new to the site, I can't tell you how much information that I have taken in. A lot! I try to check the site every day for new info. Thanks again.

mapleman3
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
GefMaypejef has been deleted.. There is a setting we are looking for to stop the PM problem. I would love to go into it and explain but don't want to open that door for more to see. Please bear with us everyone. Thanks

Haynes Forest Products
01-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I know Im being scammed when the PM starts out with HELLO FRIEND! Anyone that knows me knows I dont have any friends:lol:

Clan Delaney
01-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey there Traders. Looks like we've had a surge of bogus accounts lately, and that means SPAM.

A few things:

First, if you find a SPAM post in the forums, simply report it to Jim or myself and/or post a link to it here so we can deal with it. Responding to the actual post is a waste of time (other than to vent frustration, which I can understand). These posts are often made automatically by bots (programs designed to do just one task - in this case, SPAM) and there's not even a real person behind the account who will ever read your response.

Second, SPAM sent as a PM through the site should be dealt with the same way. Post the info here (account name, contents of the PM) so that Jim or I can deal with it. And by deal with it I mean delete that account. We have a zero tolerance policy for this kind of stuff.

By posting reports here, Jim and I will have and easy way of communicating about what action has been taken, instead of playing email tag.

Dennis H.
01-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks Jim and Pat for doing your best keeping it safe and running smoothly.

chrisnjake9
01-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Hello friend!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello friend, i found you http://antivirus.effectmeds.com/park...risnjake9;Papa John's Sugar Shack;yooper

chrisnjake9
01-13-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm thinking this is spam it said my computer has viruses now what I'm limited on knowledge with this thing

KenWP
01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Yes thats spam. It tells you to do a free scan but it does two things. It tells you it found something and to remove it you have to use their product. it also puts a few dozen cookies in places.

Mike Van
01-14-2010, 04:32 AM
I got 2 of those 'hello friend' BS emails yesterday. Never, ever click on a link or open an attachment unless you've asked for something to be emailed to you. These dipsh*ts have nothing to do but send this crap to as many people as they can. Don't reply or send it back, as then you're in their address book.

BarrelBoiler
01-14-2010, 05:12 AM
goodmorning leannder651 "Attention" is promoting antivirus

mapleman3 mmentioned a report tab i have hunted but can't find it
would that be easier to use that post, pm's, or emaail?

Mike Van
01-14-2010, 05:21 AM
And today, more of it You have received a new private message at MapleTrader.com from leannder651, entitled "Attention!".

Flat47
01-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Yup, same here. Got this one this morning:

Hello, my friend. I found report about your computer's security at: http://detected.co.cc/Flat47;creeker;Alll Tapped Out;TomE;Cog#3 Please, take this into account. Best regards, Forum Member )

Got similar stuff a couple of days ago, just like others have said.

Big thanks go out to Jim and Pat for all of your hard work!

Gary R
01-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Got leannder 651 this morning also

Dennis H.
01-14-2010, 06:43 AM
yeah I got a pm form leannder651,

it was titled, Attention!

and the body of the pm stated: Hello, my friend. I found report about your computer's security at:

it had a link that followed that I will not past here.

mapleman3
01-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Well it takes a few problems get get under my skin but it leaves me no choice to turn off the email and PM system temporarily, unfortunately what is happening is when a new member registers,Spammers mostly..and even if they are not moderated and put into the registered member catagory, well they can PM anyone. thats whats happening, so before I can go in and delete the spammers from the night.. example-15 new members signed up last night and maybe 1 is a real maple person. they are getting &&^#$#^ sneaky now.

some Maplers have tried to register in the past and if I don't see a valid looking registration with valid looking info.. they are deleted, then I get the email "why" I explain that I have to be so careful now and have them re-register. I usually can tell a spammer. So if one gets by I apologize.
Ted our Web guy is working on this and hopefully soon the system will be back up... again I apologize but it's a forum software back door entry.. not the fault of the Admin or Web master.

Dave Y
01-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Jim,
double check user Mipperhantart, location , Indoniesia.
Also HomiCasdosusia. Looks suspect.

mapleman3
01-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Can you tell me if you got that before I temporarily shut things down? I have now deleted that registration.

We have started the system again with some changes that we hope will take care of those "insert adjective here" spammers!

We are also looking into upgrading the whole system, may have a different look and feel to it I don't know, we will keep you all informed

Again everyone thanks for your patience and help. we can keep "your" site spam free and enjoyable to everyone

Dave Y
01-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Jim, I just picked them off the list of logged in members a bout an hour ago, they didnt look right. haven't gotten ay spam or emails.

Dave Y
01-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Jim,
heres another, Nuhelinia loction, Portugal

mapleman3
01-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks Dave... even if they look as if they are logged in they can't PM now UNTIL I Moderate their reg, nor can they Post anything. I delete them as I see them or go through new registrations.

I am pretty caught up but still get TONS of new bad registrations a day.. sometimes a hundred or more in a couple days

Dave Y
01-14-2010, 10:19 AM
coffallPect, location,Latvia

chrisnjake9
01-14-2010, 11:21 AM
QUOTE=leannder651]Hello, my friend. I found report about your computer's security at:

http://detected.co.cc/ronr;chrisnjake9;Papa John's Sugar Shack;yooper;hughmus

Please, take this into account.
Best regards, Forum Member )[/QUOTE]

davrhods
01-14-2010, 11:45 AM
I also recieved from leannder651 do these have a real address that they could be visited at?

mapleman3
01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Unless you get them after 9 am this morning, disregard them we have deleted them.
Thanks

Flat47
01-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Jim and crew,

Thanks for all of the hard work you and the other admin folk do to keep this site up and running to such high standards. Keep up the great work and know that it's greatly appreciated.

-T

Clan Delaney
01-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Are you kidding me, Thom? I get to do everything I love - talk maple, keep things organized, and giving spammers the heave-ho. I can't believe you let me do this, for free! :lol:

lpakiz
01-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Ahh, Clan? We been meaning to talk to you about that.... :lol:
Seriously, I do appreciate the skills you bring here. THANKS!!

mapleman3
01-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Pat, don't worry I have been doubling your pay each month, haven't you noticed?

Looks like the spam PM's have stopped. Now I wish I could stop the tremendous amount of spammers registering each day. had close to 30 just through the night.

Clarkfield Farms
01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Pat, don't worry I have been doubling your pay each month, haven't you noticed?

I don't think he realized that people still used postage stamps as legal tender. Besides, TWO stamps aren't really any easier to notice than one!:rolleyes:

Flat47
02-08-2011, 07:48 PM
I got something in my personal e-mail (not pm from the 'Trader). It was flagged as junk so I didn't dare open it. Dumped it right then. Turns out it was a member sending me an email direct, not via pm. My apologies. Lesson learned. Thanks mods for helping me with this.