PDA

View Full Version : Archboard comparison

Brent
01-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Well I took the near 2 hour drive up to one of our local dealers this afternoon to check out the archboard he has. The stuff he has comes from D&G. It is a totally different product than what Bascom sells.

The Bascom board is 1" x 12" x 36" and looks like green Roxul insulation that has been compressed to 1" and fixed there with some adhesive or bonding agent. I have not been able to an "R" value on this board, bricks or the D&G stuff. This sells at $ 8.75 a board.

The D&G board is 1/2" x 24" x 36" and is much denser and is the same material as the ceramic blankets and ceramic gaskets. It is white and almost powders off when you rub it ... like fine chopped fibreglass, which is essentially what I think it is.
At $65. (Cdn) a board it is approximately 4 times the price of the Bascom board , taking the D&G 1/2" and making 2 layers to get 1"

I lined my evap with the 1" Bascom board and half bricks and it was not good enough. The sides got really hot and any sap or syrup that spashed on them ( who would be so sloppy eh ?) burned and scorched

Has anyone had any experience with both of these to give a good comparison ??

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-12-2010, 09:49 PM
I think if you had used the full size brick instead of half bricks, the arch would have been much cooler. Maybe install a 1/2 brick for the last course around the top so you don't block off as much of the bottom of the pan.

KenWP
01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
I insulated my firebox last year with the heavy ceramic blanket. It was almost a 1 1/2 thick and works well. The sides are still hot but not real hot. I covered the ceramic blanket with sheat metal and of course it burnt through in the back around the stack hole. I have a flue pan added now and was going to try the arch board untill I found out it will be cheaper to go with ceramic blanket there also and who knows what to cover it. The inside of the arch will get remetaled with huge band saw blades that I have. Thicker then sheet metal .
D&G wants $25:10 for a 3ftx1ft x1inch arch board. CDL said they had it but refuse to give me a price.

3rdgen.maple
01-13-2010, 12:03 AM
I really do not think it ill matter if you us th split brick or full brick. It will just tak longr to heat it up and longer to cool down. I had full brick in my old arch and they got just as cherry red as my split brick in the new one. I used archboard from bascoms and yes the side get hot but it is the nature of the beast we deal with.

JohnsSugarShack
01-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Well, I just recieved the arch board from Bascoms today. I'll be installing an new 2x6 this weekend. Plan on using full brick over the arch board. Should I use a high temp silicone to secure the arch board to the evaporator or just let the fire brick hold it in place? It feels like christmas again.:D :D

Dill
01-13-2010, 08:05 AM
How many boards does it take to do a 2x6?

Brent
01-13-2010, 08:20 AM
John
my Bascom board stayed in place behind the hand bricks without cement.

I figured it would take about 5 of the D&G boards to do the firebox section. Under the flue pans will depend on whether you're raised flue or drop flue.

Mine was raised so I filled the void, about 6" deep, with vermiculite and laid archboard on top of that. The flat area was 24" x about 36" so one more board should do that, and then you need a bit more to fiddle around the bottom of the stack.

If you're drop flue you need to line the sides and bottom

Gets pretty pricey with the D&G board. And there is still nobody who can give any guidance that it is any better and worth the price.

gunnergo4th
01-13-2010, 11:59 AM
I work at a heat treating facility and the board sounds like what we use in our furnaces. The board is very easy to work but also kind of fragile and cuts with a utility knife. Our furnaces run 1800-2400 deg 24-7 so I think it will be just fine but man that's pricey. My evaporator is suppose to be here this week and that is what I'm using to line my arch only 1 layer 1/2" then 2.5" hard brick.

Brent
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I work at a heat treating facility and the board sounds like what we use in our furnaces. The board is very easy to work but also kind of fragile and cuts with a utility knife. Our furnaces run 1800-2400 deg 24-7 so I think it will be just fine but man that's pricey. My evaporator is suppose to be here this week and that is what I'm using to line my arch only 1 layer 1/2" then 2.5" hard brick.

You know a local refractory supplier that carries this stuff ?

gunnergo4th
01-13-2010, 01:26 PM
No, it comes from the states

KenWP
01-13-2010, 04:32 PM
They make a high heat fibre board in Edmonton. Just have to find somebody who sels the stuff. The Roux board will work also but to find that is a problem. I might just pay the $36 for a bag of Roux 2 inch thick bats and compress them down and use that. It's rated almost as high as ceramic blanket so should work on the flue pan.

KenWP
01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
I just got a replay from Roxul about their boards. There is a place in town that handles the rock fibre boards and it looks like the stuff is made in Quebec in the first place. I just had to send a email to the right people and they found me the right contacts. Took two months to do it.

johnallin
01-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey Brent, if the D&G board is ½"x24"x36" it would be the same as the Bascom board at 1"x12"x36".

Looks like it's more like 7 times as much cost wise. I too would be interested in what the rating is. I am about to brick up the new Leader 2x6 and just got 8 pc of the Bascom board in this week. Plan is to use full brick over the board...but if there is something better out there I'd rather do it right the first time.

KenWP
01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
The Bascoms board is supposed to be 1900 degrees F. The 36x24 x 1/2 is supposed to be rated at 2300 degrees F. That means the thick board is rated at the temp oak burns at more or less. Protected with brick would cut down the actual heat that reachs the board.