PDA

View Full Version : homemade evaporator

dads hobby
02-12-2005, 07:03 AM
I'm new to this site and so far find it great. I'm in the process of building my first evaporator. I have been boiling for afew year with a old 45 gallon drum cut in half and a 2x3 stainless pan that my father had made.Last year the hole system let go. I have since picked up a 3x3 flat pan and an old wood stove.I was wonderingif anybody out there had ever used old stainless sinks for boiling? I wasconsidering using these as flu pans since my budget is limited and i know there are alot of these lying around almost everywhere and i can get real cheap.

brookledge
02-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I don't quite understand how a sink could be used as a flue pan. If you have never seen one it can either be raised flue or drop flue. The flues run parallel to each other and usually have about a 3/4" between each other. With a sink it is nothing more than a big bowl I don't see how it can help you. Also with pans that are made for syrup are usually around 20 guage sheet metal so they allow good heat transfer. If it is too thick you lose alot of heat out the smoke stack.
I think you would be wise to look for a used hobby evaporator as you can usually find one for a reasonable price
Keith

WF MASON
02-13-2005, 05:37 AM
Keith you might just be spoiled ,think back to the days when Tonto would heat a rock in the fire and drop it into a spatoon pot filled with sap to make syrup.Thoes are the good old days.
Remember this forum is 'Homemade', I'd much quicker boil in a stainless sink, then in a galvanized wash tub.And we all know people who have used them. Your right , it an't a flue pan , but if you can get fire under it, she'll boil. If its cheap and will work use it.

dads hobby
02-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the input. I guess my termanoligy is not quite right. What i am reafering to would be the rear pan. I have already looked for some used hobby evaporator but as i am still new to the adiction ,i mean hobby they are still out of reach. My wife is patient with me but not that patient

tapper
02-13-2005, 06:51 AM
dads hobby

hmmm?? double bowl stainless sinks????? i never thought of that one but if you can connect the bowls so you have level even flow from one to the other and maybe put 2 sinks in tandem that just migt work??? feed your raw sap in the back bowl and finish syrup in the front .......

brookledge
02-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Wf Mason,
I did not mean to sound like it was a bad idea. He was asking if a sink could be used as a flue pan and I don't see how it could. I totally think that any one including my self that can make something that will work like the real ones (or close) should do that. That is what makes this hobby even more fun.
Keith

WF MASON
02-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Keith your reply to the sink was fine , 'I' was just being a smart as@ with my reply, no harm done I hope.

WF