PDA

View Full Version : Door gasket material?

briduhunt
01-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I am adding a blower to my 2x6 this year and I know that I need to make my doors air tight or at least tighter but I am not sure what material I sould use. I was thinking of using pan gasket material but I think that the gasket material is to thick and woudl not allow my doors to clse properly.
So my questions is what material should I get and how should I apply it to the doors?

Thanks

Dave Y
01-12-2010, 10:03 AM
They make a rope gasket for wood stoves. It might be attached with the right adhesive? not sure as I hvent had to use it.

red maples
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
they make a thin flat gasket you can get them in your local woodstove store. they are pretty cheap money. don't forget the glue stuff to go with it.

just a thought, you might need to have a groove cut into your door too that would help hold the gasket in place if its glued onto a flat surface it may not stick for a long period of time. but I maybe it will worth a try.

nymapleguy607
01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I tried the type of gasket you buy at the stove dealers I had mixed results
It usually holds for e few boils but then falls and then doesn't want to adhere back up, Once it falls you are better off buying a new piece.
If you have spilt doors you also need to plug this crack.
My advice is to build a new door that can be air tight.

Bucket Head
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Yes, the double doors are going to be problematic. You might be able to do something with them, but they won't be a true "air-tight" type door. If you don't use a big blower or restrict the air from a big blower, you might be alright.

How "sloppy" are the hinges on the double doors? Do they fit tightly up to the arch front or is there a gap? If so, how much of a gap? For pan gasket I use woven fiberglass material. Its 1" wide by 1/8" thick and I rivit it to the arch. It works great and we replace it every three years. Maybe you could rivit this on the front, providing theres room for it and the doors will shut??

I too would reccomend building a door. One door that would accept whatever gasket material you can get your hands on. It has to either stay in/on by itself or with rivits. The self adhering stuff can not take the heat.

At the Verona Maple Conf. I saw some GBM evaporators and they had a flat piece of plate for a door- 1/4" thick. You could have one door made of that and rivit the gasket to it. Get some heavy steel hinges and bolt it right on. Cast iron drills easily, just so you know. A latch would be easy too. Take a look at my photobucket pics for some ideas.

Steve