PDA

View Full Version : Broken back saltbox roof

Pete S
01-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Looking at various photos of a broken back saltbox roof as a design for our sugar shack/orchard barn.

At this point, too cheap to buy plans just to start sizing things up. The correct roof pitch is what appears is the key for "that look".

It appears that the main roof is at 12/12, but maybe not 14/12.

The shed roof side appears about 3/12ish.

In making up some early drawings had trouble getting it to have "that look" as the point of attachment on the shed roof appears to be critical as well it's pitch.

My wife "drew" it up, but it's not something to build from.

I looked on line and didn't find anything of real value for these numbers.

We're considering an 18 x 24.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sugarmaker
01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Pete,
Our main room is 16 x 20 with 10 foot celings and 8/12 pitch roof. The shed roof is about 3/12 pitch extends 10 feet and allows 8 foot ceilings. Check some of the pictures on our web site. Might help you visualize it better.

Regrads,
Chris

tessiersfarm
01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Mine is 12x32 and it has a 12/12 on the front and a 5/12 on the back. The finishing room end of the building the two pitches meet at the ridge with both setting on an 8' wall. The evaporator end has the same roof pitches but I dropped the 5/12 to a 6'-6" wall to allow for a 12" steam opening.

Saw Filer
01-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Check out a book called "Building the Timber Frame House" by Tedd Benson,published by Simon and Schuster. Another one I found helpful is "A Timber Framers Workshop" by Steve Chappell,Corn Hill Books. Both of these have a lot of useful info and many good drawings.Always a good starting point.

george