PDA

View Full Version : Second Year Tapping

Jax
01-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Hey, everyone. I was here last year but kind of got caught up in other aspects of life late in the season. I made only about a quart of dark amber, but we liked it so much we've decided to try again this year with a couple more taps and some bigger trees at a relative's house.

I have a question: Today is the 11th and the forecast for next week looks ideal for tapping, but it seems a bit early. Any thoughts about when to tap? Can you see any downside to tapping so early?

Thanks guys! Hoping for a good year!

KenWP
01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
You have to get tapped before Theron or he sucks your trees dry. Hopefully somebody close to you pipes in about timeing.

220 maple
01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Jax,
I usually tap the first warm day after groundhogs day. Last year I tapped the first week in Feb. I would tap next week in the bush I leased. The reason being I am planning on High Vacuum and Check Valve taps. Unfortunately I'm not quite ready. The other bushes that I tap are gravity and low vacuum. They will on average only stay open six weeks. One time in the past I believe the spring of 2000 my father tapped the last week of Jan. We made syrup on the last day of March that year. Nine weeks. My father would go move spiles and they would run just like the first time they were drilled. I don't move spiles, I have went from 19/64ths to 7/16ths, no new hole just bigger, I feel it is more productive than trying to ream a tap hole. When removing that much Bacteria from the hole they usually run two more weeks if the weather is right.

Mark 220 Maple

Jax
01-13-2010, 03:56 PM
I've decided to go ahead tap on 1/14 or 1/15. The forecast is just too tempting. I may not get any sap right away, but I'm betting on getting some this weekend or early next week. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Jax
01-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Sap is now flowing in a couple of my smaller trees. It's about 1 week since our temperatures have gone above freezing during the day, and the weather looks perfect for the next week. I'll now have to go and drill a few more trees tomorrow and be ready for the good weather ahead.

The Birdman
01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Jax if your putting in 8 taps I would go for it. If the dry up you should be able to get more trees. I have already tapped in 200 taps on the 13th have pulled 3 gallon of syrup.

Jax
01-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I found a patch of trees in my woods I didn't know about, and my brother-in-law has a bunch of maples at his house, so I may be doubling that. I only have 8 taps and need to order more. I bought them last year from a local environmental center and I think that source has dried up. Any recommendation as to where I can order more online? I'm using blue plastic ones that hook up to tubes, although I'm not using tubes, I just need the taps. I've looked around and I just don't know where to order supplies from. Thanks!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-20-2010, 05:24 PM
It's too early yet at least in WV. Trees haven't woke up yet after all this cold weather. About another 3 weeks and it will be time to tap. Usually, Feb 1st is earliest to possibly tap and most years, that is too early unless you are tapping in stages or on high vacuum.