PDA

View Full Version : Hope we don't have 2 1/2 feet of snow when tapping time comes

heus
01-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Took my tractor through the woods yesterday on the paths I will use to gather sap. Got stuck 4-5 times. Took me 2 hours to make a round trip in a 27 acre woods. My tractor goes through the mud just fine with no snow. However, with the snow on the ground yesterday all I did was spin when I drove though low spots. Maybe I will need chains I don't know. I guess I will have the weight of my sap tank on the 3 point hitch to help. If I have too much trouble this spring it will probably be an excuse to go with a tubing setup next year.

jrthe3
01-11-2010, 08:25 PM
i ready i got snow shoes for this year

maplemat1
01-11-2010, 09:00 PM
hope we have 3 feet of snow new snowshoes show up tommorrow the more snpw the better i think

red maples
01-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I hope we get more!!! I got snow shoes this year and I wanna use 'em. I got hardly nothingthing left and the Jan thaw will take care of the rest. even snow in Florida man!!! beside the more snow the better then I don't have to bring out the latter to set taps. I don't mind it when I take them out.

Sugarmaker
01-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Couple years ago when I was setting up the tubing systems I had to start early and I strung some lines when it was near zero and the snow was about 3 feet deep along the roadside trees. I was happier than a pig in poop to be working on maple stuff. Its all in the mind!!! :)

Regards,
Chris C

3rdgen.maple
01-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Would be a nice change if I only had 2 1/2 feet of snow come tapping time. Tired of dragging out the ladder to take taps down.:D

heus
01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
I personally don't mind the snow. Its my tractor in its current state that does mind.

Grizz747
01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
I hope we have some snow, I have snowshoes and a snowmobile with my icefishing sled to haul if need be. I tried to hunt saturday but the snow was over my knees with an ice crust about half way down, real tough walking.