PDA

View Full Version : Using nail hole connectors from The Maple Guys

heus
01-10-2010, 03:14 PM
I plan on having a couple of short tubing runs with 8-12 taps into 30-55 gal containers. I plan on using leader end rings for the top of the system. What about using the nail hole connectors (from the Maple Guys) at the low end? I thought maybe I could pull the line tight and screw this connector to a nearby non-maple. Then a short piece of tubing from that into my collection container.

farmall h
01-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Instead of putting a nail in a connector just buy the flow through type of endring and install your short tubing for your tank. They are only $.26 and you probably only need a few right?

maple flats
01-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Either the flow thru or another end ring. To end the bottom of a slop with end ring install it upside down and put a tail long enough to dump into your barrel or tote. I have done that for several years and it allows tensioning at either end of the line.

Sugarmaker
01-10-2010, 03:56 PM
heus,
Havent tried the nail hole connectors. They might work fine. We have 500 taps on short run and the first year I tried screwing thru the Leader tees and fitting to hold the lines in position and tight but was not very please with that method.
Let us know how you make out with this. If you would like to see our set up let me know. We are only about 20 miles from you.

Regards,
Chris

farmall h
01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
heus, back in the late '70's we used nails on our drop tees. Big mistake! I was stringing a lateral line back in November (bare handed of course) and ended up drawing blood pretty bad from an old rusty nail. Buy the correct fittings..not much money and way safer.

KenWP
01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Are not the fittings he is talking about made with a nail hole in them just for this purpose. I had to use nails finally for a couple places as the tubeing just found not stay straight.

farmall h
01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
KENWP, what are we talking about? Maybe $2.60 worth of end rings. Nails are old school..too old school.

caseyssugarshack93
01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I know all my tee's on my drops have a nail hole but do i use them? NO , pull the pipe tight and your good to go, as for the end tree use a endring or slider fitting or a Y

farmall h
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
As for keeping the tubing tight...shorten it, put some muster behind ya and pull it tight. Do both ends.

smitty76
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
when I started 17 yrs ago I us aluminum nails thinking that they would be better than steel because later down the road if cut into they would not wreck the saw. I now use endrings and find them to be much better than nails.

red maples
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
in one spot I used the end rings on the the last tree then I ran about 8-10 feet of my maine line wire across 2 trees wrapped it around and tied it them off and put it through a small piece of tubing to prtect the trees and tightened it best I could and just used a hook connector atached it to the wire just like it would if you were putting it into a saddle but it goes right into the barrel and I can put the line nice and tight and don't have to worry about nails!!

jcb
01-11-2010, 03:32 AM
I use use a 3' section braided of rope. Feed the tube in one end and use the other end to tie off to the tree. If this dose not make sence i will try to post a pic or send m a private message.

KenWP
01-11-2010, 05:27 AM
You use the friction of the inside of the rope to hold the tubeing. Sort of like those magic fingers we used to use years ago to pull the main seal on a motor with out pulling it.

michelle32
01-11-2010, 07:45 AM
If the run is that long and sags. You can use regular electric fence wire through the hole in the tee and around the tree. We don't do this but I would think this is alot better than nails in the trees. Keith

maplesyrupstove
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I put my lines up and take them down each year.I have lines in 5 gallons buckets,small tokes and 1/2 barrels.I used hooks to start and end my lines with stainless wire around the tree or a 2x3 post.I put a small piece of tubing on the wire to protect the tree.If the line gets loose in the warmer weather I just tighten the wire a little more.Works good for me and the wire just hang on the trees when I done till next year. Darrell

heus
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. And nice pictures Darrell. I will not use the nail connectors. Either end rings or the hooked connectors I think. Most of my setup will be drop tubes into 5 gal buckets. I just want to do a few of these 8-15 tap tubing setups to see what happens.

PerryW
01-12-2010, 10:45 PM
For small 5/16" tubing runs, I put a straight-thru connector at the lower end of the tubing run. I use the nail hole in this connector to attach a piece of electric fence wire. Attach the other end of the fence wire to a convenient tree with a hunk of old tubing to protect the tree.

KenWP
01-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Has anybody ever ran mainline or lateral down a fench line. Seems to be a really good idea to me.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Ken,

I have a long stretch of mainline on the woods side of woven wire fence and as you said, it works great. Don't have to worry about running mainline wire.

Clan Delaney
03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
I use use a 3' section braided of rope. Feed the tube in one end and use the other end to tie off to the tree. If this dose not make sence i will try to post a pic or send m a private message.

jcb - I do the same thing. It's because I'm an absolute miser with my tubing. Here's a pic of one of my collection points:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FwSEiH_AdHQ/S4G2IUB-uRI/AAAAAAAACdA/Iixo1Ac-ViE/s512/20100221_19.JPG

The only downside - just like a chinese finger cuff, if you scrunch the rope up, it loses its grip. Last week my youngest was running her hands along the lines to clean the snow off them, hit the cuff and the tensioned tubing took off like a slingshot! She won't do THAT ever again!

maple sapper
03-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I dabbled with the rope this season and really like it for the ability to tighten at both ends and it works good when you need to retighten. Its easy, inexpensive and does the job. I have lots of zones that are ringed on both ends and have realized after a few times of adjusting tension the ring is up against a tee. So something to pay attention to when puttin in a tee near the tie off tree thats of maple species.