PDA

View Full Version : Un-rolling 5/16 lines"

backyardsugarer
01-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Learned the hard way today that doind it by hand is not the answer. I built a device with a 2X4 on the bottom and a round piece of wood up the center to use. Anyone else built one? I saw the one in the catalog ofr $80. I have about 1.00 in this one.

Chris

maple flats
01-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I made one from 3/8" plywood that I have used since 2004. The bottom disc is about 24" diameter, a top disc of about 6" and 4 all thread run inside 1/2"pvc make the basic form. I then drilled the top at center and installed a large hooked threaded bolt to hang the rig, I put 4nuts on the bolt, 2 under thru the hole jammed tight, then 3 flat washers then thru the hole and on top I have 2 more flat washers and another pair of nuts jammed tight. This cost me just the 1/4" all thread and the hook bolt as I had everything else laying around. However, yesterday at the NY Maple Conference I won a door prize of a real one and will likely use that now. I tried it and it seems to spin easier.

Dave Lister
01-10-2010, 05:05 PM
I made mine similarly, but I connected the wooden spool to a hook that hangs on the main line with a swivel type thing I got at Home Depot so it spins freely as I walk away.

Thad Blaisdell
01-10-2010, 06:12 PM
All you need to do to "unroll" 5/16 tubing is to start by putting the end hook in, put the tubing over one arm, walk halfway to the next tree letting the tubing spool off, switch arms, walk past that tree and halfway to the next tree, and repeat till you get to your mainline. This method takes all the twists out. And then when you are done at the mainline you start at the mainline and head back up the hill. You work in both directions.

farmall h
01-10-2010, 06:20 PM
All you need to do to "unroll" 5/16 tubing is to start by putting the end hook in, put the tubing over one arm, walk halfway to the next tree letting the tubing spool off, switch arms, walk past that tree and halfway to the next tree, and repeat till you get to your mainline. This method takes all the twists out. And then when you are done at the mainline you start at the mainline and head back up the hill. You work in both directions.

Thad, you beat me to it. Your exactly right. Let me add one more thing...after you cut the tube to length..set the spool of tubing down gently.

KenWP
01-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Farm store in town has a roll of 5/16 sitting there that came unraveled for some reason. I might have to ask him for a deal on it. I will drop in just before a Lodge meeting and use the help out a fellow brother routine on him maybe.

fred
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
i do 5 wraps and give a 180 deg turn and 5 more wraps, then the line has no kinks or "warp"

Haynes Forest Products
01-10-2010, 08:28 PM
My spinner is the plywood with a handle that spins and works well. Now make your handles so you can ware gloves and make the center post as big as the inside of the tubing center............it will spin easier and not jam up. Also make a hole in the center so you can secure the loose end of tube so it doesnt get a knot in it as your walking and it trips you up:mad:

backyardsugarer
01-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Those of you using the arm method, do you stick you arm through the middle of the roll?

Chris

Homestead Maple
01-11-2010, 08:47 AM
i do 5 wraps and give a 180 deg turn and 5 more wraps, then the line has no kinks or "warp"

This the way that Glen Goodrich teaches. 4 - 5 wraps at a time. I've never had any problems this way.

Homestead Maple
01-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Those of you using the arm method, do you stick you arm through the middle of the roll?

Chris

Yes, easier to hang on to the roll and control the wraps coming off the roll.

maplwrks
01-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I have unwrapped a lot of tubing using the arm method. I have since built a spinner to unroll my 5/16" tubing. It makes the job go a lot faster, with a lot less work.

backyardsugarer
01-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Garden hose spinner work? Set it by the mailine, take one end and go?

Fairfield Sugarmaker
01-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I agree with the arm rollers and fliping from one side to the other, it keeps the hoops out.

Brent
01-11-2010, 03:43 PM
the switching arms method works just fine. No spinner to lug around.

The garden hose reel would work .... if you could get your dealer to wind it on

jrthe3
01-11-2010, 08:33 PM
i like my spinner she works great till she gets cold then its off to the house and i on my own