PDA

View Full Version : Spout Installation

Haynes Forest Products
01-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I cant find 2 people that can decide how is the best method of tap/spout install. Wagners pushes and twists, I hammer them in, others tap them in. Im a brute and other say that Im killing the tree because at times I will split the wood:mad: I think my wife does it best the same as women golfers they have that hit or swing and they get the job done. Now I under stand with vacuum a small leak will not end with sap on the ground. BUT I dont like leakes in the woods. When it comes to pulling taps mine are in to stay and other say the just twist them out by hand....................YIKES how do we survive all the differant ways

KenWP
01-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I have to dig around and find my plastic hammer for reloading and use that for spouts since they sell a plastic hammer for spout installation at some dealers. I actually figured out on my own last year that a 22 oz framing hammer might be over kill.

farmall h
01-10-2010, 08:56 AM
I use a 22 lb. sledge hammer for the high to reach spouts. One wack and they are in to stay!:lol:
No, really. I use a small finish hammer....tap tap tap.

Brian Ryther
01-10-2010, 08:59 AM
When I was at Bascoms a few weeks ago there was a flyer on the counter explaining how to install the new spouts. I didn't read it. Maybe I should have. Has any see this? Maybe it would be best to follow mfg. instructions.

red maples
01-10-2010, 09:01 AM
wow, do the taps come out the other side of the tree if the tree itself doesn't fall over???:lol: oh thats a good laugh there.

I just use a small claw hammer and tap not hit, until I here the little thunk then its in.

farmall h
01-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Red Maples, yeah, I listen for the "thunk" as well. Only takes 2-3 taps with the small hammer.
Had to retire the sledge hammer last season 'cause I broke the handle on the first 100 or so.;)

ryan marquette
01-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I use claw hammer till I hear the thunk.

michelle32
01-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Couple taps with a rubber mallet and the infamuse thug and done. Keith

maple flats
01-10-2010, 10:17 AM
And I use the flat side of a pair of 6" lineman's pliers, about 3 light taps and thunk, good. The pliers also are good to cut wire for side ties etc.

HHM-07
01-10-2010, 11:26 AM
make sure you start the spout straight and tap with a claw hammer until it feels bottomed out and you will not have any leaks, i don't like the rubber hammers because i canot feel on the hammer when they are set.

Dick

Dennis H.
01-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I use a bright orange dead blow hammer that I picked up at harbor freight. It their smallest one.

2 or 3 taps seems to work for me.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I use a 16 ounce claw hammer. Tried the push in and twist method one year and had way to many leaking and coming out from freezing and thawing. Tap them 3 or 4 times with a hammer and when they are seated, the sound is totally different. Goes from a hollow sound to a dull thud!

DrTimPerkins
01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I use a 16 ounce claw hammer. Tried the push in and twist method one year and had way to many leaking and coming out from freezing and thawing. Tap them 3 or 4 times with a hammer and when they are seated, the sound is totally different. Goes from a hollow sound to a dull thud!

That is exactly how we do it. With a two-piece spout the only difference is that after you put the adapter in the tree you twist the stubby onto the adapter by hand with a quarter-twist as you push it on. If you feel like you absolutely must use the hammer on the stubby, one very light tap is all you should do. Otherwise you could have a hard time pulling them apart.

One other little odd-ball thing. If you put an adapter from one manufacturer on a stubby, and then try an adapter from a different manufactuer, then go back to the original stubby, you may find that it won't seat quite as well as it initially did. The plastic is malleable enough that you can change the internal configuration just a very little bit when you mate a stubby and spout together. Best to find one type/combination and stick with it. Otherwise you might get very small leaks that are very difficult to track down. Some combinations work better than others do.

Haynes Forest Products
01-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I also use a 16OZ hammer and buy cheap ones because Im tired of looking for them in the woods. I used to have bunji taped to mine but after it got caught on a main line and wacked me in the leg I stopped doing it. Plus having to walk backwards thru the woods while someone else barrows it:mad:

dano2840
01-11-2010, 11:30 AM
i just use the back of my spliting maul and its in in one shot, :lol: usually i just grab what ever estwing hammer i own that i can locate:lol: then just hit until she goes thud i dont tap but i dont hit like a nail either

Fairfield Sugarmaker
01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Head to your nearest hardware store and look for the 12 ounce hammer(maybe they are 7 ounce) that generally is in the household tool bucket, the real light one with a wooden handle. We have been using these for a while now and with a short tether around your wrist and the cordless drill hung around your next in a sling it leaves your hands free for grabbing the next adaptor/spout or doing that repair that you most likely will find while tapping. Have fun

3rdgen.maple
01-11-2010, 12:02 PM
I have my dad hold the tap in the hole then I back the tractor up to get a running start then slam the bucket into the tap. Kinda tricky dad has to let go at the right time so I don't hit his hands. Actually I use claw hammer as well. The same one gramps used on the farm years ago. Gotta stick with the lucky hammer. Just a couple light taps here the thunk done.

Maple Ridge
01-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I have seen different tap installations. My question is should the drop line be straight down, or at a slight angle, or dose it matter.

Grade "A"
01-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I lightly push the tap in so it will hold, then get out the saw and drop the tree so it will and on the spout and drive it the rest of the way in. I might be doing it wrong because I don't get much sap that way.

KenWP
01-11-2010, 04:50 PM
So to instal taps I have to but a bigger tractor a sledgehammer and life insurance. Hmmmmmm . All this before I even start hauling sap or play with fire. Man wonder if it would be cheaper to just buy syrup.

ennismaple
01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
So to instal taps I have to but a bigger tractor a sledgehammer and life insurance. Hmmmmmm . All this before I even start hauling sap or play with fire. Man wonder if it would be cheaper to just buy syrup.

It is cheaper to buy syrup! That's why I encourage people to make their own at home. After they've stayed up all night to boil what little sap they have from the tree in their yard and all the paint in the kitchen is peeling from the humidity most people will gladly pay what we charge for syrup!

red maples
01-12-2010, 11:17 AM
oh I like how you think:evil: very smart.

but there are the crazy ones like us who will build the sugarhouse before we repaint the kitchen!!!! ;)

farmall h
01-12-2010, 06:31 PM
KENWP, don't forget you need two more things before you start tapping: 4-wheeler ATV and a good dog!

KenWP
01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Might as well get a second wife as well. Really break the bank.

I was wondering how you pound those straight spouts in. The ends inside the tube is it not.

farmall h
01-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I retired the sledge hammer.... somebody suggested a better way. Although I do admire the way 3rdgen.maple does it. How did he ever get to be a 3rd generation? His dad must be quick on his feet!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I am also wondering you users are driving in the 1/4 clear Lapierre spouts and with or without the tubing already on them??

PerryW
01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
I just twist them in by hand then give them a thwack or two with the same diagonal cutters I use to cut the tubing.

Grade "A"
01-13-2010, 06:23 AM
I am also wondering you users are driving in the 1/4 clear Lapierre spouts and with or without the tubing already on them??

The people that I saw using them tapped in the spout then put the tubing on.

Dave Y
01-13-2010, 06:36 AM
That is exactly the way the are to be installed. Lapierre has come out with a clear spout that can have the tubing installed before the are set in the tree.