PDA

View Full Version : RO in barn

tuckermtn
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
For this season, we have our RO set up in our barn- about 200 ft away from our sugarhouse. Had to set it up there since we were not able to get power or an insulated room in the sugarhouse this season.

Here is my plan- would love to get some input.

Run the RO and have the concentrate pumped up about 14 ft in the upper corner of the barn closest to the sugarhouse. Try and set it up so the line drains fully back to the RO. (The manual for the RO says that it is possible to pump as high as I want since it comes from the high pressure side of the RO) Run 200 + ft of 3/4" mainline downhill over the driveway to the sugarhouse, emptying into a 300 gal stainless feed tank. Boil away.

anyone see any problems with this potential set-up?

maple flats
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea but be sure to have an emergency supply of sap/concentrate or water at the evaporator just in case or be ready to kill the oil. That is certainlt better than if on wood fired.

maplwrks
01-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Eric, That will work just fine!! Just have some way to drain the line going vertical to the high point of your barn.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Eric,
I have a similar set up. Ro in the barn and it pumps the concentrate 200 feet and up about 18 feet to the head tank. Works fine!

Russell Lampron
01-10-2010, 05:38 AM
I have a tee with a ball valve on it near the bottom of the concentrate line at the RO to drain my feed tank line.

Brent
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
You might want to have the RO pump up to a tank that is vented and gravity feed down the the sugar shack. The would take care of siphoning issues. the vented tank could have an overflow line back to the sap tank and make an automatic recirculator if the RO output is more than you can evaporate.