PDA

View Full Version : wireing diagram grimm woodsaver rheostat

vtsnowedin
01-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm setting up a used Grimm lightening that has a woodsaver blower controlled by a wall mounted rheostat. Of course the instructions are long gone. I took the rheostat off the wall by just snipping the wires off and taking the whole box leaving the insides as is. I can copy whats there but when you see a white wire hooked to a black one you have to scratch your head a little. Anybody have one with the instructions so I can double check before I put the power to it and snap crackle pop or get it running backward.

KenWP
01-08-2010, 05:25 PM
How many wires does it have for one. Is it 110 or 220. Should be a easy wireing job as the rheostat just cuts down the power to slow down the motor.

vtsnowedin
01-08-2010, 05:37 PM
How many wires does it have for one. Is it 110 or 220. Should be a easy wireing job as the rheostat just cuts down the power to slow down the motor.
110 volt, 3.0 amp just 2 wires in and out. The way they had it wired was with the hot (black) in connected to the white out and the neutral(white) in hooked to one side of the switch (orange) and the other side of the switch (black) hooked to the black out.

KenWP
01-08-2010, 05:55 PM
The rheostat works on the hot wire and is actually between the power source and the motor. The white wire is hooked direct to the motor and the rheostat is one the black wire. Thats why it just needs two wires. Does it not have a ground to hook to the junction box.

vtsnowedin
01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
The rheostat works on the hot wire and is actually between the power source and the motor. The white wire is hooked direct to the motor and the rheostat is one the black wire. That's why it just needs two wires. Does it not have a ground to hook to the junction box.
Nope this was made sometime in the sixties. I'll add ground right up to the last box. I plan to use a wall receptacle just opposite the fan so I can unplug it if I have to move something heavy over that floor. If I had been thinking I could have cast a conduit in the floor slab and not had a tripping hazard.