PDA

View Full Version : Syrup transfer pump

Snow Hill Farm
01-07-2010, 09:42 AM
I bulk a lot of my syrup in 5 gallon and 7.5 gallon stainless steel kegs and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a transfer pump to get it into the canner. Right now I place the canner on the floor, pour half in, lift the canner onto the stove then dump the other half in. It works but a small pump would definitely be better. My filter press might work using the bypass valve but I'm not sure what the vertical lift capacity is. Any ideas?

maplecrest
01-07-2010, 10:30 AM
leader sells an air operated transfer pump for a fair price that will put syrup anywhere you want it. in the cat. it is called a drum dispenser and is 124 dollars

Jeff E
01-07-2010, 02:03 PM
I use my filter pump in bypass position to pull syrup out of the drum (55 Gal) and put in canner. Works well, a bit slow, I would guess about a gallon a minute (syrup is cold, about 40 degrees)

sfsshadow
01-07-2010, 03:06 PM
i also use my syrup press to pump out barrels.i put a T with a valve on the discharge side of the pump.pumps a little faster

sapman
01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I use my filter press, with the 3-way valve in bypass. The Oberdorfer puts out like 2 gpm in summer, and 1/2 gpm now, if lucky! But it's all I ever use. I'd like to get one of those tipping dollies and put a valve on the barrel. Would be a lot faster this time of year.

Tim

Haynes Forest Products
01-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I also use my press to transfer syrup. If you plan ahead you can get a drum heater that is magnetic and it slaps to the side of the drum and will get things wormer for transfer and wont burn the syrup. NAPA they use then for heating oil in drums or on oil pans.

KenWP
01-08-2010, 05:18 AM
For drums you can buy a big red belt that heats up the drum. It has a dial on it that goes to like 400 degrees. I have no idea where they come from but mine came from N.C. with a fellow that moved back to Canada with it. It really heats up things. You can also buy a cheap belt from a wine supply store that will heat up a 5 gallon bucket a bit. It is adjustable so it fits a wide range of objects.

Snow Hill Farm
01-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks for all the responses, that settles it, I'll use my filter press, I just wasn't sure if it would lift it that far, around 5 feet.