PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Main Line

backyardsugarer
01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Do you guys tie the line to the top of the wire or underneath it. I have seen it done both ways and when it is tied on top it tends to snake more, when tied to the bottom the saddles can be tougher to access.

Chris

maplwrks
01-07-2010, 08:15 AM
I like mine on the bottom. To make the manifolds fit the wire, I slide the wire ties away from the area that I'm putting the manifold and add a couple more once I've got the manifold set.

Dave Y
01-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I like to have my wire on top and the pipe on the bottom. As far as snaking goes you need to streech the pipe. I do mine with a rachet strap and come-along.

backyardsugarer
01-07-2010, 08:32 AM
I am going to use a 4 wheeler with a winch to make sure I can play it like a piano.

Chris

Dill
01-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Congrats on the new sugar bush Chris.
Glad to see your back into it.

Dave Y
01-07-2010, 08:46 AM
While it is important to have your wire tight, The pipe must be streched also. that is what i strech with a rachet strap and come-along.

backyardsugarer
01-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks Dill, I was turned down more times than I care to remember but I guess if you keep asking eventually something will turn up. How is the D&G set up going? Kind of kicking myself now but I have ordered a 2 by 8.

I am going to stretch the main line with the winch also.

Chris

ennismaple
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
What Maplwrks said is how we do it too.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-10-2010, 01:59 PM
I like the 10" plastic zip ties. They are about 10 times as wide as a wire tie and don't pinch into the line like a wire tie. Time will tell how long they last compared to wire ties as I have both of them up.

ennismaple
01-10-2010, 10:27 PM
The problem we've had with the zip ties is if a tree limb goes over the mainline in the winter all zip ties for a fair distance (say 20' each side) will shatter. We've used black electrical tape, zip ties and even used a lasher with stainless wire and the wire ties are the best, IMHO.

Russell Lampron
01-11-2010, 06:04 AM
I use the electric fence wire tension ratchets at both ends of my mainline wire and mainline. That way I can tighten or loosen the wire and pipe at either end if
needed to do repairs. That is 4 ratchets per mainline and wire one at each end for the wire and one at each end for the mainline.

I use the 12.5ga. high tensile wire and tie the mainline pipe to the bottom of the wire. I use the galvanized wire ties and put the loops up. I put tension grips that are like Chinese fingers at each end of the mainline and a piece of wire from there to the ratchet.

Woody
01-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Has anyone tried tying a series of half hitches in the ratchet strap on the end of the mainline to hold it while tightening. Was wondering if that would hold or just slip off once you started tightening.

Or...would hollow core rope work or should I just bite the bullet and buy those wire grippers made for the job.

Dave Y
01-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Woody,
Use electrical tape and a hose clamp. thats how I hold mine to tighten and it works very well.

Amber Gold
01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I do the same as Russ. It works well and gives adjustability at both ends.

Brent
01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
All I've ever done is made sure when I was stringing the wire, that I had some side trees to pull to. Just pull hand tight at the ends then put the tension on by pulling to the side. Easy to add more tension if needed. Never need a tool of any kind.

I also slide the wire on the side trees up or down a bit to adjust the slope.

PerryW
01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
ALso use the side-pull method with no tools to tighten the mainline.

ennismaple
01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Has anyone tried tying a series of half hitches in the ratchet strap on the end of the mainline to hold it while tightening. Was wondering if that would hold or just slip off once you started tightening.

Or...would hollow core rope work or should I just bite the bullet and buy those wire grippers made for the job.

We use steel grips that lock onto the wire as you apply more tension. They are primarily used to grip onto steel wire used to tension guy wires for utility poles but we have found them great for use in the sugar bush!

sugarmaker43
01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Woody, we use a 1/2" rope with 6 or so half hitches, and the end of the rope has a loop to attach any method for pulling the slack out of the main line. Once in a while it will deform the main line a little which you can cut off. I use a small block and tackle that is used for fencing which give you about 10' of pull for taking up the slack. Hope this might help.

KenWP
01-13-2010, 06:01 PM
I used to pull several hundred feet of electrical wire thru plastic pipe. Used to tie off the pipe with nylon rope with half hitchs and hook the truck to the snake and slow but sure pull the wire thru. We didn't even have yellow in those days to cut the friction.

tstew
01-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Another thing that helps with the mainline wire in my opinion is installing the tensions springs that you use on the high tensile fence wire. They are designed to hold the right amont of tension on the line and keep it from sagging. I also think they work well for a shock absorber when limbs, deer, etc. hit the line.

sugarmaker43
01-14-2010, 01:07 PM
KenWP, That's where I learned to use the half hitch, from a Electrician friend of mine. It's an easy and cheap!!! way to pull wire, pipe or what have you. Jim