PDA

View Full Version : Strange marks on trees

jcb
01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Looks like someone made a shallow cut with a chain saw but some of them are 15' off the ground.I'm thinking some kind of bug but I have no clue as to what kind. If you can not open the attachment I can send it in a PM thanks for your help

vtsnowedin
01-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Maple borer. Not sure of the exact or proper name but it's an insect that gets under the bark and eats that path across the cambium layer that kills the wood above and below it. If it eats more then a quarter the way around the tree you might as well cut it for fire wood and let it's replacement have the light.

jcb
01-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I was thinking it was something like that. How do I get rid of them? If I cut for fire wood will they move with the wood and get into other trees? Thanks for your help

maple flats
01-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes, often deadly. How many do you have like that? Call your nearest extension forester for inspection and suggestions. I have only seen it in some classes I took and do not remember the insect name but it is not good.
Early treatment may minimise the overall impact. Maybe Dr. Tim will chime in on this.

vtsnowedin
01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
By the time the bark over the effected area dries out and falls off revealing the damage to you the bug is long gone. Fortunately they seem to only hit one tree in a hundred (usually the straightest fastest growing veneer tree) and pose no real threat to the stand as a whole. The long horned beetle is a much more worrisome problem.

DrTimPerkins
01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Maybe Dr. Tim will chime in on this.

I'm not an entomologist, but do know about the common maple pests. This one is fairly common, and is, as was already suggested, the sugar maple borer.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/Spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_mapleborer/mapleborer.htm

The controls listed in this publication are from a decidely strong lumber perspective (suggest you cut mature trees), so don't pay a lot of attention to them.

jcb
01-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the info and quick replys it was a big help

Haynes Forest Products
01-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Dr. Perking the fact that you can spell it puts you in the expert category as far as I concerned.:) I have some trees like that with 1/2 the tree bark gone and it still produces and still has a nice large crown. The healing prosess is under way so whats a little tap going to hurt.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Indian taps from 500 years ago!!!!

RileySugarbush
01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
But the fact that he misspelled it brings him safely back to earth.......

entomologist (I had to look it up myself!)

DrTimPerkins
01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
But the fact that he misspelled it brings him safely back to earth.......

entomologist (I had to look it up myself!)

Yes....but the fact that you can edit your own posts makes it all go away. :)

farmall h
01-06-2010, 03:53 PM
After seeing the photo, yes that is the Maple Borer. If the damage is most recent you should contact your local extension service or state forester. I believe there was a threat of these beetles moving towards New England that I saw on the news this fall. If it is old damage from years ago and you just happened to notice it more than likely the tree will have to be cut for firewood. However, if the damage is on a branch or "Y" of the tree only that part of the tree will die. I say this because back in the late 70's our 30 acre bush succumbed to these critters. The beetle prefers the younger trees about 8"-10" and generally do their damage at about 15'-20 ft. Over time the tree becomes dead at that scar and the wind will break it! Not much can be done to prevent them from coming.