PDA

View Full Version : pancake recipes

40to1
01-04-2010, 11:30 PM
My kids love our homemade syrup (we're raising them well), but are cool to the pancakes my wife and I cook up.

Since asking a sugarer for a good pancake recipe (or at least cooking tips) is akin to asking Santa Claus how he makes his hot chocolate, I have to ask the question:
What's your best pancake recipe to go with your liquid gold?

Your thoughts are appreciated....

3rdgen.maple
01-04-2010, 11:36 PM
I like to add some vanilla to my pancake batter. Kids like it when I add blueberries or strawberries to the mix.

Stickey
01-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Try some cinnamon or my favorite, banana pancakes. The kids are all about chocolate chips.

Amber Gold
01-05-2010, 06:25 AM
This is our standard. Quick, simple and always comes out good. If we're looking for something different we'll make buttermilk or use whole wheat flour instead of AP.

Bowl 1
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Bowl 2
1 egg
1 Tbsp sugar (can use brown sugar)
2 Tbsp veggie oil
3/4 cup milk (sometimes it comes out thick so I'll add a bit more milk to loosen it up a bit)

Add wet ingredients to dry, stir until combined, rest for 5 minutes.

I reccomend an electric griddle. I've found the pancakes come out better and more consistent.

woodshillmaple
01-05-2010, 07:05 AM
I like to add cinnamon apple sauce to my pancake batter. Or if I am really ambitious, chop up apples and add that with some cinnamon.

Dill
01-05-2010, 08:22 AM
See yet again I have to disagree with Josh.
I hate the electric griddle. I'll take a cast iron pan any day of the week.
One tip is to sour the milk. A dash of vinegar will curdle it a bit and make lighter floater pancakes. If no vinegar than orange juice is good.
I also make corn meal pancakes a lot, just substitute corn meal for 1/3 of the flour, we really don't measure when I cook.
Whole Wheat White flour works well.
But my daughter perfers waffles so we usually have those on the weekend. She's just come around to syrup in the last 6 months. Before that it was jam or powdered sugar.

KenWP
01-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I like this several grain pancake mix we can buy up here. It has several whole grains in it and the pancakes have a lot in them when you eat them. We had pancakes sunday and she who has to be obeyed mentioned that in the last year for some reason we eat more pancakes then she has had in her intire life. She figures it has to do with just going downstairs and grabbing a jug of syrup and away you go instead of paying 8 bucks a can in the store for it.

wcproctor
01-05-2010, 08:41 AM
We made Christmas baskets this year for family and friends so I wanted a real good pancake mix for them and I found we all would say here this mix is on the top 10 here a web sight and check him out. Good luck in 2010
www.vermontfarmgirl.com

ziggy
01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Use New Hope Mills complete just add water, it gets no better.

brookledge
01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
I like plain Bisquik and not the generic brands. Also my kids love corn pancakes add a little to the batter and kids will like them
Keith

Greg Morin
01-05-2010, 07:43 PM
bisquick a little bit of vinilla extract and a little bit of baking powder mix the baking powder in with the bisquick dry. the baking powder makes them a little fluffier.

Smitty
01-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Smitty76 You Out There

Bucket Head
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Nothing to add on the pancake mix.

Does anyone have the tin cookie cutters that have different shapes? Maybe even a maple leaf shaped one? Cut, or pour the pancakes into different shapes. That helps little kids into eating them.

Well, sometimes it helps. Sometimes nothing helps.

Steve

smitty76
01-05-2010, 08:35 PM
yah, i'm right here

smitty76
01-05-2010, 08:37 PM
steve. they do make maple leaf shaped tin pancake molds. not sure were to get them but smitty does. smitty, you out there and were did you get your maple leaf pancake mold?

3rdgen.maple
01-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Use New Hope Mills complete just add water, it gets no better.

Ahhh yes I agree. They make their products the old fashion way, stone ground. Good stuff. They only thing that makes the New Hope Mills from NY pancakes any better is Pure NY Maple Syrup:D
Forgot to metion my daughters favorite. Pumkin pancakes. Just mix in some pumkin pie filling with the batter and thin to your liking. They are actually pretty good.

smitty76
01-06-2010, 05:16 AM
sounds good 3rdgen. I never thought of that. seems pretty easy too.

Gary R
01-06-2010, 06:13 AM
We like adding diced apples with some cinammon. Another is banana's, sometimes adding chocolate chips, but that is too much sugar:)

KenWP
01-06-2010, 08:51 AM
We do the pumpkin pancakes also. I make a lot of pumpkin filling and freeze it as you can't safely can it and we use it like that often.
I am not a strong white flour fan also so a lot of my pancakes are dark and fluffy.

nymapleguy607
01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
I like the New Hope Mills Buckwheat pancake flour