PDA

View Full Version : Roof Jack Dimensions

SeanD
01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm making my own roof jack for the peak of my sugar house. It will have a 10" pipe for an 8" stack to go through.

The overall ridge length will be 20" (5" on either side of the pipe along the ridge) and 15" down each side of the peak (about 8" past the bottom edge of the pipe).

The storm collar will have an 8" inner diameter and a 12" outer.

How does this plan compare to the "real" roof jacks out there? Did I leave myself enough flange around the pipe?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

vtsnowedin
01-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Compared to the commercial one that came with my 14" stack your all set and have a bit of overkill on the 15" down slope. From your question I take it your coming up dead center of the ridge pole. That makes it hard to make the storm collar fit tight as you will have to bevel and solder the flashing that is parallel to and touching the stack. It will look like a Conquistadors helmet with a big hole through it. Much easier to set the rig over a foot or so and come up beside the ridge pole and only have one angle to deal with. Also that leaves the ridge intact and your roof a lot stronger.
I'm in the process of changing mine from a 4/12 pitch to a 9/12 pitch. I have it taken apart and the down pipe cut to the new angle and re notched. Just have to wire brush all the surfaces and resolder. It will give me some soldering practice in a place where a leak or two isn't critical.

SeanD
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah, it's centered. If I move it east, it starts to get into a traffic route near a door and if I move it west, it goes to the side of the shack where tall trees overhang the area. Centered just seems to work best.

I'm actually farming the job out to a local machine shop, so I just need some specs to give him. I've got the stainless, so I'm hoping to get out of this for pretty short money (compared to a store-bought jack) and even shorter time. I don't have a lot of either right now.

Thanks for the input on the dimensions.

Sean

Sugarmaker
01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Sean,
Do a search for "garbage can roof jack" on here it was a nice looking roof jack for not a lot of dollars. May just give you some ideas. I know I was impressed. I like you spent some time and dollars getting 3 custom roof jacks made.
Chris

SeanD
01-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I remember that thread. I just went back and looked at it again (search "trash can"). That was a YEAR ago I read that?!! That one went by way too fast.

I like the idea a lot, just not the silicone flange. I also would have trouble securing it to my roofing because I left the plywood sheathing cut back to the edge of the boxed out opening for the stack. So I only have the metal roofing right around the hole for the stack.

That was also a great thread because that's where I got (stole) the idea for how to make my own hinged stack cover. Thanks markct! I just need to find a stainless stove burner cover and it's done.

Three custom jacks?

Sugarmaker
01-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Sean,
I call them custom anyone else would call them just plain old roof jacks:)

I cut the stainless for them from the skin off a Dari-Kool bulk tank. Did the design work to allow me to cut 20 inch and 24 inch round holes in the roof and taper the cone portion to 10 inch and 12 inch stack sizes.
( I have a 12 inch smoke stack and two 10 inch steam stacks.)

Then I had them spot welded together. Pop riveted the cone to the stainless roof portion and then learned how to solder all the seams shut.

Chris