mitchellbob
01-04-2010, 04:49 PM
what time of year is it best to tap?

caseyssugarshack93
01-04-2010, 05:03 PM
theres other threads talking about this, do a search on here,

PARKER MAPLE
01-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Anybody Thinking Of Tapping In Vermont Yet???? Its Crossed My Mind Several Times The Last Few Days, And Getting Harder And Harder To Control The Eagerness.. Lets Go Alredy...

johnallin
01-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Mitchellbob, depending on your location - north or south - the deciding factor is the weather... Days near 40° and nights below freezing. Some in the southern parts of Ohio will be starting soon, those of us in the northern part of the state will most likely not see it until mid to late Feb.
Some say when the crows come back into the woods it's time, we have crows and they're not here yet. Others wait for a "melt ring" at the base of the tree - a sign that the tree is beginning to thaw. There are lots of signs but mother nature is the boss on this one.
Good luck this year.

PARKER MAPLE
01-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Well The One Sign That I See Is There Is A Ring At The Bottom Of Tree, This In My Eyes Means The Tree Is Thaughing Out..i Am Seriously Considering Tapping This Weekend

DrTimPerkins
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Well The One Sign That I See Is There Is A Ring At The Bottom Of Tree, This In My Eyes Means The Tree Is Thaughing Out..i Am Seriously Considering Tapping This Weekend

In my opinion, if you're on buckets....you should wait a bit longer. I imagine you'll soon find that winter's not over yet.

KenWP
01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I see you guys tapping and then wonder. I just check the neighbours place and if he's tapping I know to wait a bit and join in. They tap by the date mostly up here. One thing I don't know is if the Federation has rules of when to tap to go with the quota system.