PDA

View Full Version : Making a finishing pan

bussell
01-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about trying to make my own finishing pan. My plan is to drill a hole into a steam pan and to insert a valve or a nipple and close the hole with a nut on each side.

Has anyone has success with this valve approach?

Bucket Head
01-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't think it will be successful. I think it will leak.

Go buy a stainless half coupler from your local plumbling supply and have it welded on. An experienced TIG welder could do it very quickly, and cheaply.

Its what I would call cheap insurance against leaks. You'll never have a problem with that fitting if you do it like that.

Steve

KenWP
01-03-2010, 02:21 PM
My finisher has a valve made that way and it will never leak as far as I can see. Just use a good gasket on the outside and make sure the hole is just big enough that you have to screw the nipple into the pan in order to put the nut on the other side. Even the valves you buy will leak if you don't put them in right. It's all in how tight you make things.

Haynes Forest Products
01-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Im with Ken. We would all love to get a welder to do a quick job at a fair price so that means $50.00 Plus parts. Now you can do it for parts and will have a good finisher. Now I have a finisher from Waterloo Small that has the drain on the side and I wish that it had a draw off box for positive draining. so its what you want to spend but dont get put off by not trying your way firest and if you dont like it get it welded. You might just come up with a totaly differant one next year.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-03-2010, 03:39 PM
If the pan is hot enough, the syrup will close off any holes fast around the outside in the form of sugar and you won't have a problem. Just need to make sure you put it on where it is completely flat, not any contour.

tessiersfarm
01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
I ordered a fitting called a weld-B-Gone from a home brewers supply. It is rated to 450 degrees and I have had mine for 3 years with no trouble. I tried the pipe and fitting method but pipe thread is tapered and it is hard to tighten enough to stop a leak. As others have said I would try it, the worst that will happen is you will have to go to plan B.