PDA

View Full Version : no syrup pan float

bees1st
01-03-2010, 09:32 AM
I used to have a 3x8 small brothers raised flue. just stepped up to a 3x10 witha 7' flue pan.the guy I bought it from didn't use a float for the syrup pan,said he just contoled flow with the shut off valve. I'd never heard of this ,anybody else do it this way?

vtsnowedin
01-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Sadly yes I have. Sap running into the flue pan from a plastic pipe with a valve set to let in about 1.5 gallons a minute and the connection between the flue and flat pans wide open. Rig was also over an inch out of level with the left side syrup pan being the high spot. You would check levels at intervals and at each fireing and be sure to let in some extra if needed before a draw off. They ran it that way for years.

jrthe3
01-03-2010, 11:28 AM
i have been making syrup my whole life my dad boiled my grandfather boiled last year was the first year with a float box if i went back threw my dad and grandfather records witch i would like to do someday i bet it has been thousans if not millions of gallons of syrup that we made with out a float system just useing a gate valve to control the sap flow

bees1st
01-03-2010, 12:40 PM
do you slightly open the valve just before you draw off syrup?

farmall h
01-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Boiling without floats can be done...Personally I would not want to risk scorching my pan. Go visit your local Leader dealer and get a float. When boiling you always have a constant flow of sap going into the front pan to compensate for evaporation and when you come to draw-off your float will automatically increase the flow in order to push the syrup along. I guess it could be done but it would be wise to have a designated "valve person" when the time is right. Things happen pretty fast as you know!

bees1st
01-03-2010, 01:04 PM
I didn't think it was something I wanted to try,having always used a float.wanted to know if this guy was feeding me a line! or is it something that some folks actually do

farmall h
01-03-2010, 01:09 PM
I guess if you have a flat pan it could be controlled easier. I must say though it is a kicker when you scorch your pan..

vtsnowedin
01-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I guess if you have a flat pan it could be controlled easier. I must say though it is a kicker when you scorch your pan..
If you have a seven foot flat finish pan with four dividers you have twenty eight feet of channel for the sap to travel through to get to the draw off. That alone helps control things. Also there is usually a plug or slide gate that lets you shut off the last section on either side to finish a batch. Once closed you can increase the flow into the flue pan and have a bit of head waiting to move into the last division when you open the draw off valve.When ready you open the draw off then reach over and open the slide and watch the bubbles come down the chute to the thermometer and the draw off valve and you can easily see the difference in flow when the unfinished sap gets to the valve.
This only works on a drop flue pan where everything is the same level.

maplwrks
01-03-2010, 02:21 PM
If you are going to run your rig very hard, you'll want to put a float in the front pan. Not saying that it can't be done, but you will be living on the edge of disaster constantly. Bascoms or Leader should have everything that you will need to hook it up correctly

vtsnowedin
01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
If you are going to run your rig very hard, you'll want to put a float in the front pan. Not saying that it can't be done, but you will be living on the edge of disaster constantly. Bascoms or Leader should have everything that you will need to hook it up correctly
Absolutely. All it takes is a few visitors to distract you or any other thing you can name and your in trouble. Boiling without a float means that you are a slave to the levels and flow and must be checking constantly. Putting a float to work for you lets it do the boring repetitious checking and adjusting and frees you up for the thousand and one other things you need to be working on to keep everything running smooth and high grade.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I run my entire evaporator at 1.5 to 2 inches deep, so if you aren't using a float, you will be much safer running pans deeper.

brookledge
01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
does the pan have a float box? If it doesn't you may want to look into electric flow valves to maintain the level. Like Marcland makes.
keith

Sugarmaker
01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
We made syrup for years letting it trickle into the rear pan on an old Warren outfit. Not sure if that was the brand or if it was just "warn-out" That's a syrup joke kids:)
Anyway there was so much time to kill since we were using oil for heat that watching the levels in the flat pan system gave you something to do.

Regards,
Chris

3rdgen.maple
01-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I think both ways with or with out a float have just about the same potential for a disater. My old rig had no float box and never scorched or burnt a pan. I have heard on here and hope to never have this problem of floats sticking closed and people burning up their pans. Which ever way you go a close eye on things is key to success and an emergency bucket filled with sap might just save your day from disater as well.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I think both ways with or with out a float have just about the same potential for a disater. My old rig had no float box and never scorched or burnt a pan. I have heard on here and hope to never have this problem of floats sticking closed and people burning up their pans. Which ever way you go a close eye on things is key to success and an emergency bucket filled with sap might just save your day from disater as well.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I made syrup for a number of years with a 5x7 Old stainless King pan I bought from Bascoms and when I got it hot, it would boil off about 50gph and I never used a float and never was an issue scorching it. Run the level a little deeper and you should be fine as you can install syrup level marks inside the drawoff area and just check it about ever 5 minutes. Best insurance with any thing you are boiling is at least a couple of gallon of sap sitting in a bucket close by just for the "what ifs".

tessiersfarm
02-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I've never had a float valve, I just set the valve where it feels right and adjust it every now and again. my 2x6 evaporator has 7.4 gallons per inch of depth so if you are boiling 1 gallon per minute, which you likely are not, it would take several minutes to drop the level even 1/2" with any flow at all. I have had more trouble with the sap getting too deep if I didn't watch carefully.

KenWP
02-05-2010, 08:06 PM
To help out she who has to be obeyed with boiling when I was out and about I made her a stick with two marks. One where it better not go below and one that I rather it never went over. She could adjust the preheater tap accordingly. Of course if you get the brilliant idea to save wood and the boil slows down and you don't cut the tap back it takes a while to get it back down and the preheater is extra warm.

maple flats
02-06-2010, 07:53 AM
bees1st, what are the dimensions of the float box? I will get measurements today, but I have a good ss float that does not fit anything I have. Don't know brand but it is larger than the float box on my 3x6 Grimm raised flue. If it would work I'd ship it to you for $15+ s&h it you are interested. I think it is even welded but will verify when I get the size. Condition is very good, no dents or wrinkles.

farmall h
02-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Mapleflats, can you post a pic...I may be interested. The 4 x 12 that I have has large rectangular float in the back pan.....small rectangular in the front.

maple flats
02-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I'll get a picture later today and can email it to you. However, I offered it first to bee1st, so he gets first chance. If he does not respond or say yes, you can have it.

maple flats
02-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I got the float out. It is welded SS, 11 1/16" x 4 9/16" x 1 5/16" and the vent tube is 11" tall. Very good condition. If I don't already have it sold I will list it in classified. 2 might already want it. I can email pics if needed. Make unknown.

vtsnowedin
02-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I got the float out. It is welded SS, 11 1/16" x 4 9/16" x 1 5/16" and the vent tube is 11" tall. Very good condition. If I don't already have it sold I will list it in classified. 2 might already want it. I can email pics if needed. Make unknown.
Comparing those dimensions to Bascom"s catalog it has to be a FL4 float and fits a Leader 2'x6'.

bees1st
02-06-2010, 04:39 PM

thanks for the offer but it will not fit my float box.

farmall h
02-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Does the float have two holes on the depth adjuster to accept the float control?