PDA

View Full Version : home made steam away hood

PoorFarmFarmer
01-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Anybody have any designs for steam away hoods/hot water collectors? I've seen them made with poly tarps but i was thinking of something with galvanized or poly roofing? any thoughts. Thanks

tessiersfarm
01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I made one with aluminum coil stock used to wrap house trim. It has a channel around all 4 sides that channel condensate water to a bucket. It also has a parallel tube pre heater inside with a drip pan under that. I will look for some pictures to post this afternoon.

maple flats
01-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I would stay clear of galvinized metal for it. I never studied a steamaway but doing any heating in galv. is apt to be bad. Galv contains metals you don't want in the syrup and putting heat into the sap in it will leave a much bigger amount than an old galv sap bucket with cold sap. Someone on here has SS sheets for sale of a few different gauges. Try thinking something along that line.

jrthe3
01-03-2010, 11:38 AM
what are you looking to build a steam hood or a steam away piggy back pan for heating your sap i built a steam hood out of galv with a copper preheater in side if you look at my photo book you can see pics of it

PoorFarmFarmer
01-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions...sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm basically looking for a way to simply collect hot water because I don't have any running water out in the sugarhouse. I looked on both albums and I couldn;t really tell what the aluminum coil is? Do you have any other pics? Thanks again.