zippy1wood
01-02-2010, 06:54 PM
I know I saw once a estimate for how much syrup per tap
not sap or I could use that also, per tree I know there are a lot of variables
suger content,runs,etc but would like to get estimate on 200 taps on tubing
gravity, also what vac difference might be Thanks

KenWP
01-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Up here on vacuum they claim 3 lbs per tap as a constant average. I am told the futher south you go the better you get. Buckets are usually less for obvious reasons. I got 20 gallons from 150 taps but that was because I had no idea what I was doing and Ihad many trees that gave little or non all season becaise of that. Time will see if I learnt anything this year.

Sugarmaker
01-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Z,
cant speak for vacuum. but on gravity tubing you should get about .25 gal per tap. similar to buckets. so 200 taps might give you 50 gallons of syrup if all other variable are normal.
I would expect that you should get .5 gal finished syrup per tap on a good vacuum system.
Chris

tuckermtn
01-02-2010, 07:16 PM
first two years .19 gal per tap. last three years .31- .32 gal per tap. only have vac. on 1/4 of our taps. No real vac. the first three years.

old saying was figure a quart (.25 gal) per tap.

red maples
01-02-2010, 08:04 PM
search the thread "amount of syrup per tap" I posted this thread because I was curious too. there are about 22 replys and some really good statistics with folks that went from buckets to tubing to vac and to high vac very good stuff!!!

zippy1wood
01-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys I need to up my taps I wanna hit that 100 gal mark
Ill have to search those other post,now Ill get no sleep tonight
need more wood more taps more wood more wood that will be my
night counting sheep:)

Smith's Maple
01-03-2010, 06:25 AM
The taps I had on gravity made .23 gals per tap last season. The ones on vaccum made .59 gals per tape. I ran no less than 27 inches of vaccum at the pump. With the last tap on the longest holding 19 inches, There is all so a 21 foot high sap ladder on this line to.

DrTimPerkins
01-03-2010, 07:56 AM
General rule of thumb is:

Buckets 0.15 - 0.25 gal/tap

Gravity tubing 0.15 - 0.30 (the upper end if you have good natural vacuum)

Vacuum tubing 0.25 - 0.50 (depending upon how good your vacuum is and how good your tubing setup and maintenance are).

The first few years after retubing and in good years, you might exceed 0.5 gal/tap with high vacuum (>20" Hg). Basically the higher the vacuum the higher the yield (it is a linear relationship). It takes some effort to get to that level of vacuum and production though, so don't expect to just throw some tubing out there and put a pump on it and get 0.5 gal/tap. Best thing you can do is to plan on spending as much or more time in the woods during the season as you spend in the sugarhouse. There are plenty of people with good vacuum at the pump (but not in the woods), but have a poor tubing design, implementation, and maintenance, and consequently, relatively poor yields.

Smith's Maple
01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
The first year I had the pump I also ran over 26 inches of vaccum, but I only made .4 gal per tap. I spent alot of time in the woods that year watch the water and finding the bottle neck area's in my system. With the inprovements I make over .5 per tap.

caseyssugarshack93
01-03-2010, 01:54 PM
What kind of pump are you running?

PerryW
01-04-2010, 06:20 AM
With my scraggly woods maples and health spouts I average about 1 gallon of syrup for every 6 taps (on gravity)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Jeremy
Back in the sugarin game
2400 taps on vac
4x12 Dallaire Oil Fired

Sounds like a really nice operation and hope it works out great for you. Is it one you have bought or are leasing, give us some more details!

Smith's Maple
01-06-2010, 03:31 PM
What kind of pump are you running?
I have a Electric pump with flood oil cooled. It is the smallest complete model that leader sale's. 3/4 hp. I hold no less than 26 inches at the releaser. usually about 27 inches it depends on the day.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I think the .25 gallon of syrup per tap is based on 40 to 1 sugar content. Here, I run close to 50 to 1 and some years higher, so I can get 10 gallon of sap per tap and not come close to quart of syrup per tap.

Frank Ivy
01-25-2010, 08:22 PM
I think the .25 gallon of syrup per tap is based on 40 to 1 sugar content. Here, I run close to 50 to 1 and some years higher, so I can get 10 gallon of sap per tap and not come close to quart of syrup per tap.

Is that common to your area? Is it weather related? Or do you think it's just the genetics of your maple trees?

By the way - nice photo album - saw the new shack - looks awesome, I'm extremely envious. I'm out in the open this year and hoping there's no rain.:(

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Frank,

Seems to me in all the years I have been making syrup that the farther south you are, the lower the sugar content as a whole, but not 100% of the time. 2 years ago I was at 48.42 to gallon of syrup and last year, 48.41 to a gallon of syrup and that is really good for me. Guys even further south of me run a higher ratio. We have longer growing seasons here, so I am not sure of the cause of it, but my guess it that is has to do with the winters. Guys in Maine run 3% out of red maples and I can't even get 2% out of sugars and I have a lot of extremely nice trees with nice crowns in areas that have been timbered in last 15 years and have had a good crown release.

Good rich ground where most of the sugars are, but don't seem to matter much.

PS Thanks for compliment on the sugarhouse and setup, I spent a lot of years boiling outside, in a plastic pole shack, or in my dad's half open building. Nice to finally have a nice sugarhouse for the past few years. Either way, it is all been a lot of fun.

Frank Ivy
01-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Frank,

Seems to me in all the years I have been making syrup that the farther south you are, the lower the sugar content as a whole, but not 100% of the time. 2 years ago I was at 48.42 to gallon of syrup and last year, 48.41 to a gallon of syrup and that is really good for me. Guys even further south of me run a higher ratio. We have longer growing seasons here, so I am not sure of the cause of it, but my guess it that is has to do with the winters. Guys in Maine run 3% out of red maples and I can't even get 2% out of sugars and I have a lot of extremely nice trees with nice crowns in areas that have been timbered in last 15 years and have had a good crown release.

Good rich ground where most of the sugars are, but don't seem to matter much.

PS Thanks for compliment on the sugarhouse and setup, I spent a lot of years boiling outside, in a plastic pole shack, or in my dad's half open building. Nice to finally have a nice sugarhouse for the past few years. Either way, it is all been a lot of fun.

Well now that's interesting. My woods are probably 30% red maple, but I never even considered taping them. Maybe i ought to tap one and figure out the sugar concentration.

KenWP
01-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Sounds like here. I am probbably the only guy in the province almost that taps anything that has leaves on it. Neighbour figured I was going to poisen people tapping box elders. I tap the silvers and reds and box elders plus the sugars.