PDA

View Full Version : Floats for flue pan

maple ridge tappers
01-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I have an older Small Broths. evaporator. The float box on the flue pan is in rough shape. The box is soldered to the side of the flue pan, but the seam has started to leak. To fix this would require me to remove the box, to clean the entire surface so I can resolder the box. Also the float mechanism appears to have been reengineered by the previous owner. The float has a tendency to stick in the open position causing the pan to flood. It also sticks in the closed position causing it tooooo, well you know what happens:o . In general this float device requires a lot of attention during the boil.
My question is, are there any other float devices that a guy could retrofit to my evaporator? Any info or pics would be greatly appreciated.

maplwrks
01-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Does it feed into the box from the end or the bottom of the box? I boiled on a SB that fed sap up from the bottom of the box. Worst design I ever used. That float was always sticking open or closed. If yours is like this, I would plug the bottom hole and order a float mechanism from Lapierre, that will control level the way it should. Maybe you could pm 802 Maple, he was a SB dealer at one time, he might have a different answer for you.

sfsshadow
01-01-2010, 06:41 PM
we use marclands electric valves.they never mess up.always had trouble maintaining constant levels with my small bros flue pan,for years,before we switched over. probably not much different in price,if you had to replace your float box and float

maple ridge tappers
01-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes, just like you said. It feeds up from the bottom. The stopper on the float, caps over the top of the intake pipe. This cap often gets cocked crooked on the inlet pipe causing it to stick.

farmall h
01-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I have the identical set-up for float system. Does your float have the two fingers on it? Mine rotted off and ended up ss welding a "Y" shaped finger. Your right...that float cap is always cocked wrong or seats too tight. Always checking the flow during boiling..can't trust it. Need to convert to something different.

MRT, what year is your SmallBros.? Mine is 1990.

farmall h
01-01-2010, 07:53 PM
What does the marclands electric valve consist of. Does it hang on the inside of the float box? 110v?

maplwrks
01-01-2010, 08:03 PM
My rig is a SB design--the float controls a valve that feeds in from the end of the float box. You may want to try giving Matt at Lapierre USA a call and see if he can help you out. Do the Marcland valves mount in the float box?? That might be the way to go also.... I know what you're talking about with the stopper getting "cocked" off and becoming misaligned. Junk!!

farmall h
01-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Mike, MRT logged off. Are you currently still using the SB float? I don't even care for the front pan float system all that much.
I need to go google and see what these valves look like.

maple ridge tappers
01-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I have the identical set-up for float system. Does your float have the two fingers on it? Mine rotted off and ended up ss welding a "Y" shaped finger. Your right...that float cap is always cocked wrong or seats too tight. Always checking the flow during boiling..can't trust it. Need to convert to something different.

MRT, what year is your SmallBros.? Mine is 1990.

My evaporator is probably much older than yours, but I'm not really sure how to tell. The guys I bought it from weren't sure either.
Yes the fingers were replaces with 16 penny nails. The whole float design really needs an upgrade before it fails during a heavy boil.
If it appears that I logged out, it's just because my wife steals the laptop when I use the restroom.

Bucket Head
01-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I don't know anything about them, just happened to come across their site today, but they showed float boxes. www.gbmllc.com

Might be worth checking out.

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
01-01-2010, 09:49 PM
MRT Its a lap top take it with you after a while she wont want to use it:o

farmall h
01-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Good morning MRT. Hey, never thought of using nails. May have to get out the tig welder and redo. BH sent that site for the valves. Gonna go see it then be back.
Oh, the arch and evap. were installed in 1990 but I believe we purchased it in 1988.

farmall h
01-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Went to the site BH sent and couldn't find the Marcland valves. Went to Bascom site and there they were, but those are automatic draw-off valves not floats. I am not aware of an electronic float system. Anybody?

maple ridge tappers
01-02-2010, 11:50 AM
If you goggle marcland, you can see all of there products on their website. They appear to be rather simple to install, but their prices were unclear?

farmall h
01-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Well, found the Marcland site and they show a 1 zone level valve for $447.00. I think before I invest in something like that I would want to see one in operation. Thanks for the help.

maple ridge tappers
01-02-2010, 12:05 PM
It appears that they work very similar to the auto take-offs. Just an electronic devise that controls the flow of sap. Not sure if you are familiar with the Marcland take-offs, but we purchased on last year, and it is truly amazing device worth every dime.

dano2840
01-02-2010, 05:48 PM
i have an old leader set of pans where the float sits in the flue pan and the valve set up sits on a small pan on top of the flues and i cant get my float to make that work because the arm likes to bend and it wont shut off enough and floods the pans and when you really need more sap it wont let enough in, is there any one that has had expierience with these old leader pans with this float? i think they are leader specials but im not sure

sfsshadow
01-02-2010, 06:12 PM
the 110 valve is mounted, inline , just above the float box.it just hangs from the feed line. [ 1in pvc ) i have my sensor wire on the opposite side of the flue pan,just before the sap drops into the syrup pan. have a similar set up in the syrup pan, also. pans NEVER get low and never have to wait for sap

saphead
01-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Dano,
Sounds like you have what's called the "King" style.Shallow preheat pan over the front end of the flue pan,valve on a sliding plate w/arm off valve hooking into float in the outside chamber of the flue pan.Be sure the float is on the side where the sap from the flue pan is going into the syrup pan.If the float is on the side where the sap comes out of the preheat pan in to that side chamber, the fluid levels will never be correct and the rig will not run like it's was designed to.When you rush setting up (like I did one day) and put the float on the wrong side by the time the float reacts, the syrup pan and flue pan are low, scary on a 6x16! If you get a large draw on this style rig it's not uncommon to have to hold the float down until the sap catches up.Running the rig w/steady draws will eliminate this problem.

saphead
01-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Hey Paul Z.,
Will stop over early this year to check out your Force Five before you fire it up,want to look @ a few things about nozzle placement,etc. Are you getting it delivered before the season? Went by yesterday looks like your all set w/wood,hope you left the woodshed empty to move the rigs! Let me know if you're going to do a preseason test fire.Did a lot of research on gasification boilers over the past few years,it's about time the maple industry got on board.
Craig