PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Storage

backyardsugarer
02-09-2005, 09:33 AM
What is the best way to store syrup in bulk for bottling as you need it. I see that leader sells 5 gallon plastic containers with screw on tops for $15. How are they different than ones you can buy at a hardware store? I will be looking to store about 40 gallons (I hope)

Chris

mapleman3
02-09-2005, 09:55 AM
I bulked 15 gallons last year in the 5 gal blue plastic jugs from bascoms last year, they worked out great. this year I bought 2-15 gal SS dr pepper barrals from our state maple assoc. check with your NY assoc. they may purchase in bulk the same barrals as ours did, actually we went in on a truckload with VT. maple assoc.

brookledge
02-09-2005, 12:36 PM
If you buy something from your local hardware store make sure it is food grade or it might affect the taste. Also the blue plastic 5 gallon containers will allow sunlight through and will cause the syrup to drop in grade if that is a concern. As Jim said the best way is stainless but you should still package hot at 185 degees. Or refrigerate it. Possibilities are soda containers used for soda fountains they are about 5 gal. or beer kegs which are 15.5 gal.
Keith

mapleman3
02-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Keith, correct on the light.. I stored mine in a cool dark area of the basement, syrup came out tasting just as it did when it went in... I think the color stayed the same also!

fk
12-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Just thought I would put this link out there. It seems to be pressurized soda cans for carbonated soda. Does anyone know if these might work for syrup? I thought I had heard someone talking about Dr. Pepper cans. 8)

Frank K

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-gal-Stainless-Steel-Fluid-Dispenser-Tanks-Kegs_W0QQitemZ7574656192QQcategoryZ66962QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Sugarmaker
12-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Found these 2/12 gallon square plastic jugs,
FDA approved, (Item # 74093) 8 x 8 x 13-1/4 for $8.32 each, 61 mm dia cap with 3/4 inch NPT in cap and carrying handle.

In United States Plastic Corp, Cat.
1-800-537-9724.
I haven't gotten any of these but others in our Maple Association are using them and they are easy to handle.

I have a chest freezer in the sugar house and this keeps the syrup fresh throughout out the year. Usually put syrup in 5 gallon plastic pails but these are heavy to lift in and out of the freezer.

sapman
01-23-2006, 09:26 PM
I tried one of the pressurized type 5 gal. stainless soda containers once. They'd be a perfect size for me, and the price was right. But since they are meant to hold pressure, not vaccuum, they will suck air in. They may hold some vaccuum, but not what you would need I don't think. I use it when I know I'm going to need only short-term storage.