PDA

View Full Version : Rules & Regulations

MyDeereMaple
12-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Are there any rules or regulations for selling syrup? Currently, I am a small time hobbiest with a 2x4 leader. Last year we tapped about 75 buckets and produced about 15 gallons or syrup. We've never produced for selling. Basically, I have a large family that contibutes and reaps the rewards. In additon, we may give a few gallons away each year to relatives or friends. However, now that we've done this for a few years, I can safely estimate how much syrup we actually consume over the course of a year. When it comes down to it, we usually have several (5 or 6) gallons kicking around at the end of the year.

My thought is this. If I am going to do the work, somebody should be enjoying the results of the labor. To take it a little further, if I am going to do the work, somebody should also be benefitting from the labor. Let me try to expalin. My mother is an exceptional gardener. Last year she divided and potted various varieties of her plants and set them out in front of her house for sale. She posted a sign that stated that 100% of the proceeds were going to be donated to a local food bank at the end of the season. She sold $2 or $3 pots and was able to generate around $700 to donate. She was going to garden, regardless. And in doing so, she was simultaneously helping out a charity. They way I'm looking at it, I'm going to sugar, regardless. I thought of donating the syrup to the food bank, but feel that there would be more to give if it were in a monetary form. Therefore, I am thinking of posting a sign along side my mom's plant sale this season, offering our excess syrup for sale, with 100% of the proceeds going to charity. That way there someone can buy and enjoy the syrup while the charity benefits.

Since I don't want to get Mom in trouble, I need to know how to do this properly. Somebody told me once that I need to contact weights & measures. Is this true? Does somebody need to inspect my bottling area? If so, what should I be prepared for? Am I over concerned, based on the small volume we will be selling? Any input would be apprecciated.

3rdgen.maple
12-31-2009, 11:03 PM
google new york state maple producers association and look over their web site. Last time I was there they had a link to the ag laws that apply to selling syrup in ny. Basically as long as you are selling it out of your resident labeling is the one thing that must be right. There was no mention of needing an inspection selling like that. But do the search alot of great info on there.

gator330
12-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Search New york ag and market maple syrup. It spells it out plan and simple. Which is hard to beleave for the state of new york.

maplehound
12-31-2009, 11:34 PM
I know that when I have a good year or at least a fare year, I like to donate syrup to diffrent organizations. Such as benifite pancake breakfast. I also like to bottle several gallons in 1/2 pint bottles and give them to food pantries. ussuall a gallon or two to each in 1/2 pints makes alot of people feel extra specdial. The pantries tell me that it is ussually placed on a table of special items and it is ussually the first to go.

maplehound
12-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Also if you talk to some of your local dealers that cary bottles, they often have partial cases or older style bottles around that they have a hard time getting rid of and will give discounts on if you tell them that is what you are using them for. (this is my experience and may not be for all)

maple flats
01-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Don't be afraid to sell the syrup. Make sure it is pure maple syrup, either ungraded and not grade labeled, or graded and labeled with the proper grade. You must have a label on the container with your name or the name of your sugarhouswe or business and the city and state. Containers must be properly filled and labeled for quantity. There are other requirements in NYS but these are the basic ones. Anyone chime in if I missed a biggy.
If you want after selling you can donate to charity, or donate a portion. Most producers start small like you but the addiction sets in and we sell most of our syrup. If you decide to sell for profit then you keep a record of all income and expendatures and treat it as a business on your taxes.