PDA

View Full Version : 10" stovepipe

SilverLeaf
12-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Anyone know where a guy is likely to be able to pick up 10" stovepipe for an evap stack? I went down to the nearest big box hardware store and found a wonderful selection of 8" and smaller stovepipe. But nothing bigger. Is 10" an odd size? Do I need to find some sort of specialty furnace/heating supply store?

johnallin
12-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Did you try Bascoms or Leader? 10" is a pretty common pipe size. Good luck with your new 2x6.

SilverLeaf
12-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Both Bascoms & Leader have what I need, but I was hoping to avoid having to pay shipping. ;)

PerryW
12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Most residential woodstoves and furnaces use 6" or 8" pipe, so the big box stores don't stock anything bigger.

farmall h
12-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Dan, I suppose you could have them made.

farmall h
12-31-2009, 12:25 PM
PerryW, had to edit. Thought Silverleaf was in Lyman,NH

SilverLeaf
12-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Thought Silverleaf was in Lyman,NH

That'd sure be a nice change of scenery. Although I'm pretty content way out here in flyover country too....:lol:

Candyman
12-31-2009, 01:28 PM
This summer I purchased a Maple Pro 20 x 66. Was using a Leader Half Pint for 4 years prior. My shack is only 10' x 12' unfortunately that's the biggest I can go. I have about 125 taps all going into individual buckets at the base of the trees. Trying to streamline thinks a little by using a pump on the tailgate of my truck and carry a hose to all the buckets and transfer the sap to a holding tank. I'm planning a 110v pump with a power inverter, using a remote control switch from the tree. There may be a lot of air to evacuate from the hose before the sap gets to it. I suppose I will need a self priming pump. I'm currently looking at a 1hp sprinkler pump by Wayne. Says its self priming. Does anyone have experience with this?

johnallin
12-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Try these people, there in Wisconsin. May save on shipping.

grapessugarbush.com (http://www.grapessugarbush.com)

GBM LLC.
33186 Cty Hwy W
Holcombe, WI 54745
P: 715-447-8440

Haynes Forest Products
12-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Most "self priming " pumps dont like pulling liquid up very high. The longer it takes the harder it is on the seals. The switch is a good idea and put a check valve in the suction end so you dont waste any sap and it will help keep the sap in the line for instant pumping and will keep you from filling your boots or walking around with the hose up in the air. Always drain the entire line back to the pump at night and pull the pump plugs.

michelle32
12-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Go to your local wood stove guys they can make up the pipe or order it for you. It tends to be quit abit cheaper that way. Keith

maple flats
01-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Go to a full line plumbing and heating store (where the pro's go), they will have it in different gauges. Get the heaviest gauge you can get, 26-28-30 gauge is for furnace heat ducts, 24 fair, 22 better, 20 good etc. The smaller the number the heavier the wall thickness. Most will carry stock up thru 12" some even higher, but will order larger sizes or heavier gauges for you. Another source is to find a tin shop to get custom made but this would be the priciest but likely still be less than a shipped order from Leader or Bascom. Another way, visit any maple dealer, prices not competitive but you will not pay high shipping at their store because they get a big shipment from the mfgrs all at once unless you wait and have them need to put in a special order seperate from their day to day reorders.

jbetourney
01-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Anyone know where a guy is likely to be able to pick up 10" stovepipe for an evap stack? I went down to the nearest big box hardware store and found a wonderful selection of 8" and smaller stovepipe. But nothing bigger. Is 10" an odd size? Do I need to find some sort of specialty furnace/heating supply store?

Dan if you can find an ace hardware store they should be able to order it for you. 4 years ago we were an ace dealer and i had to order some 10" pipe for my arch.